GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:25:00 GMT
On bahalf of my wife and myself, I want to extend my heart-felt condolences
to the Jallow family. I know many of the Old Pa's children starting with his
first, Ya Mariama who is the mother of MC Loppy and others.

MC Jallow was one of the funniest politicians in Gambian history. I'll tell
you an anecdote. During the debate, after the State opening of parliament
(post general elections -1987,) some member of the NCP team made a comment
(I don't remember exactly who it was,)but MCJ got up, and in characteristic
style, looked at the Speaker and goes: Excuse me Mr. Speaker. If I could use
Wollof, I'll say that "Djinnneh Nuum makket-makket, dessay-na benna
n'gobbeh" (however old a devil/djinn is, he has one last trick up his
sleeve.) With that, he went on to intimate that the only reason they have to
contend with that opposition member is that, the man did not run against him
MC in the elections. He then bit his finger, shaking his head. The chamber
literally lit up with laughter. And I saw him pull several other stunts like
that. Even for some of us who didn't care for the PPP, it wasn't hard to
like PPP stalwarts like MC.

May his soul rest in eternal peace.

Saul.