GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Buharry Gassama <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:28:08 +0200
Hi Mr. Jallow!
                    Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Since you find my series of questions complex, I suggest we take them one by one. We can start by dealing with the first question that you have attempted to answer, that is, the legitimacy or not of NADD. You stated that "NADD is not a legitimate political party but an institutionalized faction within the context of the Gambian Constitution and the electoral laws....The IEC is the only authority in the Gambia that grants any association the status function of a political party..and not the National Assembly, the Executive nor the Supreme Court." Your attempt to isolate the IEC from the National Assembly and the Supreme Court in terms of defining a political party is fallacious. The IEC derives the basis on which to declare any association a political party and its very existence, from laws created by the National Assembly. The Supreme Court is the final arbiter when there arises an issue of interpretation of not only what the IEC decides, but laws created by the National Assembly. So you see, the three institutions are a necessary part of the functions defined for the IEC. It is in this vein that the issue of the status of NADD's registration was brought before the court that ruled that NADD was registered as a political party and not a coalition of parties, thus forcing the various parties to forfeit their seats in the National Assembly. The facts as they stand today is that NADD is a legitimate political party, given such status by the Supreme Court ruling. Whether you or I feel otherwise is irrelevant. Your opinion of NADD's legitimacy doesn't carry much weight when stacked against the Supreme Court's ruling. In other words, your statements are a matter of opinion and the Supreme Court's ruling is a matter of fact. Facts are a constant that require a set of rules or actions to be changed whereas opinions can change on a whim. Your opinion of NADD's legitimacy as a political party days after the Supreme Court's ruling are the complete opposite of what your stand is today. The fact that arose out of the Supreme Court ruling is however still a constant waiting for the set of rules or actions necessary to change it. That fact is that NADD is a legitimate political party registered under the laws created by the National Assembly and IEC rules. Your opinion days after the ruling was that NADD is in fact a political party under the prevalent laws (see various posts you sent stating such below). Your change of opinion does not affect or impact the reality of what NADD is according to the laws of The Gambia. Thanks and have a good weekend.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Buharry.

P.S.
Here is what you wrote about NADD's declaration as a political party days after the ruling under various threads:

Monday, July 11, 2005 3:15 PM