GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 06:06:33 -0400
Joe:

I had written to you explaining my frustration and a question posted to you about a tentative coalition summit that you indicated a while back.  Sister Jabou and Mr. M. Sidibeh had also provided valuable suggestions.  I hope we can come to the realization that differences yield solutions.

I hope we can revisit the fund drive and coalition platform initiatives.  I want to make it clear that each of us has a role to play, regardless of our differences.  I also want to make it clear that our efforts for a coalition can only prevail if we are inclusive.  If we pick and choose who we associate and communicate with, we will fail tremendously.

Our country's problems should be collective.  This effort should not be regarded as a vocation for a selected few.  If we refuse to hear disagreements and suggestions from those who disagree with us, our effort to defeat Jammeh will be fruitless.  It is of no value that we ask Gambians to contribute financially, when we operate from an exclusive front.

We can continue to condemn the APRC government in all efforts, but our unwillingness to be inclusive will equate a defeat for us at the polls.  Question is ask: How can one trust an effort when those requested to contribute cannot make suggestions?

From my intepretation, I have noticed a sense of segregation on the part of some who are supposed to rise above politics for a better Gambia.  It is frightening that we engage in such, when we are calling for a democratic Gambia.  This in my view is discriminatory in its entirety.

This sense of feeling is frustrating, but I just cannot hide it. I must also be willing to do my part for a better Gambia, regardless of being critical of the whole initiative.  Democracy without criticism equals an APRC government.

We will collect funds locally in Raleigh, NC, but we hope  representatives of the opposition can visit us.  We are also against the idea of lodging any representative in a hotel.  We feel that we need to minimize our expenditure so that resources collected can be used in needed areas.  We also want the leaders to know the community, sit, laugh and hear from them informally.

I stand to affirm that I will remain critical of the whole structure until the citizens in diaspora are allowed to convene and given the opportunity to address critical issues facing a tentative coalition.  My position is that we should employ communal efforts in engaging Gambians.

Issues facing us must be addressed.  What is the platform for a a coalition?  How long should the nominee serve?  How many terms should the nominee serve?  How can we meet the leaders of the opposition or their representatives in the U.S.?  We do not want to hear from only one political party.  We want to hear from all of them.

Naphiyo,
Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh