GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
alfusainey bah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 20:19:14 PDT
Got milk trouble?
A few of my friends experience gastrointestinal or abdominal symptoms such
as nausea, gas,bloating, cramping and diarrhea,usually a few hours after
consuming milk products. They are experiencing LACTOSE INTOLERANCE.
In our small intestine we produce an enzyme called lactase which breaks down
lactose into simple sugars called glucose and galactose so that our bodies
can absorb it. Lactose is a complex sugar found in milk products and in some
processed foods. If our body does not have enough of the enzyme lactase then
the lactose is not digested. Instead, it is fermented by bacteria  that live
in our colon, and broken down into fatty acids, hydrogen and methane. That's
what causes the gas, bloating and diarrhea.The severity of these symptoms
varies depending on the amount of lactose each individual can
tolerate.
There is no cure for lactose intolerance, but fortunately it is more of an
annoyance than a serious condition. However symptoms can be controlled
through diet. If you think you are lactose intolerant, i would suggest to
you to avoid dairy products such as pasteurised yogurt, milk and ice cream,
and to take calcium supplements such as tums, since milk is a primary
calcium source. One can also use lactase liquids or tablets to help digest
the lactose. A carefully chosen diet however is the key to reducing symptoms
and protecting future health. Talk to your doctor or dietician.
God Bless and Peace Be Upon All
Alasana Bah
Seattle, WA