GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Amadu Pembo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:29:27 +0000
Capturing the True Spirit of Ramadan

Today is the fifth of Ramadan.

Ramadan is the month in which Allah “sent down the
Criterion to His servant, that it might be an admonition to
all worlds”. Allah said, “When My servants ask thee
concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them); I respond to
the prayer of every suppliant when he calleth on Me; let
them also, with a will, listen to My call, and believe in
Me; that they may walk in the right way.”

I hope and pray that this Ramadan will be a time when He
responds to our prayers and we listen to His call.

“Oh ye who believe, fasting is prescribed to you just as it
was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn)
self-restraint. (Fasting) for a fixed number of days; but
if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed
number (should be made up) from days later. For those who
can do it (with hardship), is a ransom, the feeding of one
that is indigent. But he that will give more, of his own
free will, it is better for him and it is better for you
that ye fast, if ye only knew.

“Ramadan is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur’an
as a guide to mankind, also clear (signs) for guidance and
judgment (between right and wrong). So every one of you who
is present (at his home) during that month should spend it
in fasting. But if anyone is ill, or on a journey, the
prescribed period (should be made up) by days later. Allah
intends every facility for you; He does not want to put you
to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed
period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and
perchance ye shall be grateful.”

These Qur’anic verses (Surah Al-Baqarah: 183-185) refer to
the importance of Ramadan and emphasize the spiritual
aspects of fasting — a month devoted to worship, but not
one in which the believer renounces the world or runs away
from his responsibilities. He abstains from food and drink
for a limited period. The stress is on self-discipline.

Fasting is not meant to punish the body but to strengthen
the mind, directing it to higher things. Scientists agree
that machines require a rest period due to “metal fatigue”.
Allah created us and knows that we are weak in body and
spirit; we are in need of occasions to boost and revitalize
our weak iman (faith) so that we may adhere to the commands
of Allah in the way shown to us by the Prophet Muhammad
(peace be upon him).

During Ramadan, mosques are full of worshipers, and acts of
charity increase, ties of brotherhood are strengthened,
tempers are controlled and an atmosphere of peace prevails.
According to psychologists, these are several of the
beneficial aspects of conscientious fasting.

We should also resolve to be steadfast in the good habits
acquired during the holy month of fasting. Let us all once
again pledge to follow the example of the Prophet, who was
the most active during the month of fasting.

It is saddening to see that many people view Ramadan as a
time for sleep, laziness and, therefore, of decreased
productivity. If you go to an office and ask for someone,
you are often told to come back later or the next day. If
someone loses his temper, you are told he is edgy because
he is fasting.

Many of us forget that fasting itself is an exercise in
discipline. It is a total act of worship. You cannot fast
and at the same time cause trouble to others. This is what
we must realize.

Employees who deal with the public should know that this is
not a month to delay matters that are important to other
people’s lives and interests. Students should realize, or
be told by their parents, that this is a great month to
read about religion and to understand it. They should not
spend the day sleeping or sitting around and the night
watching television, strolling in shopping malls or driving
aimlessly about the city.

I think it is high time that the media as well as the
family emphasized that Ramadan is a month of worship and
active work, and that by adjusting our lifestyles properly
we can do both and also be more productive. The turning
away from Islamic precepts and teachings has brought a host
of problems for us. And turning night into day defeats the
whole purpose of the fast.

Indeed, the month of Ramadan should be used to reflect and
to question whether we Muslims are really on the true path.
An honest answer will show how far we are from the
teachings of Islam.

Muslims should be bold enough to admit that they have
created many of their problems themselves. To admit this is
the first step toward solving the problems facing the
Muslim Ummah. We, as Muslims, are obliged to follow the
teachings of the Qur’an and the life of the Prophet
Muhammad. The only solution to our present difficulties is
to read, understand and follow the teachings of the Qur’an
in its proper perspective. If we do that, we will realize
that those of us who see dark conspiracies behind our ills
are way off the mark.

The Qur’an says: “Verily never will Allah change the
condition of a people until they change it themselves.”
Others do not hatch the conspiracy that is destroying us;
it is we ourselves who do that. Or it is a conspiracy of
inaction.

So let us put an end to this habit of blaming others for
our shortcomings and inertia. Our enemies, real and
imagined, can harm us only to the extent we remain lacking
in initiative and outmoded in our thinking and way of doing
things. What is needed is some soul-searching and a
readiness to think and act differently.

Let us also remember, on this day and in all the days
ahead, that our faith demands that our concerns go beyond
our own selves and families to our brethren in faith and
brothers in humanity.

In a world that has become a global village with a free
market and a free economy, an increasing number of people
are falling victim to wars, hunger, incurable diseases,
internal strife, and genocide and human rights abuses.

Countless attacks and killings that are still going on in
Baghdad shows the near anarchical situation prevailing in
Iraq. Afghanistan is far from at peace with itself, though
things may appear calm on the surface. Palestine is going
through one of the worst crises in its tragic history.
Palestinians are still denied the basic dignity that is the
right of all human beings. Chechnya remains in turmoil. Let
us hope that the recent elections will lead to peace and
security for the Chechens. The rising tension in the Indian
Subcontinent should concern the whole world because the
rivals, India and Pakistan, are now armed with nuclear
weapons. Let us pray for peace and security for the whole
world.

Our heart goes out to all those who suffer on account of
their faith, occupation or simply because they find
themselves on the wrong side of a border or are pawns in a
game played by big powers for geopolitical objectives.

Let the families of those who lost their near and dear ones
in terrorist attacks in the US, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Bali
and elsewhere have the fortitude to bear their suffering
with dignity. But it is not enough to pray for the victims
of terrorist fury. We should make a determined effort to
eradicate the menace of terrorism from the face of the
Earth. Nothing we do or say should even remotely encourage
the purveyors of hatred. We should teach our children the
virtues of tolerance and sympathy to fellow human beings.
Those of us living in affluent countries and affluent
societies should never forget that there are vast numbers
of people living in poverty and without basic amenities of
life.

Let us once again pray that this Ramadan all Muslims will
make a sincere effort to come closer together and closer to
Allah through fasting, prayers, zakah and charity. And,
through hard work, let us make this a better world for us
and our children. While doing our duty by our fellow men,
our families and our community, let us pray as Abraham and
Ismail did, while raising the foundation of the House (Holy
Kaaba): “Our Lord, accept from us, for Thou art the
All-Hearing, the All-Knowing; Our Lord, make us Muslims,
bowing to Thy Will.”

If I have only one prayer, it will be to see no child
anywhere in the world with fear in their eyes — the fear of
losing their parents, of their homes being demolished
because of man’s inhumanity toward man, and fear of the
unknown.

We know that all major battles in Islamic history were
fought and won during the month of Ramadan. There are still
battles to be fought and won — against poverty,
intolerance, prejudice, racism and terror.