GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 19:47:09 +0100
Elakeh,

I would not have thought that you would so forthrightly testify to the gullibility of the people of this place you call SukuruKunda. A few kilos of Ramadan sugar for their ballot(!) - qualifying them for five years of hardship and the prospect of "sukuru kurango"? Goodness, why should the people of Kaatong do that?

Honourable Halifa Sallah was in Stockholm some eigth weeks ago. At one meeting he humoured us with a narrative of a little of his campaign feats prior to the last elections. The people of SukuruKunda are probably tired of his persistent sermons, though they probably secretly want to listen to what he has to say. Since they would not come to his meetings, he made sure that they heard all he had to say by holding meetings at every street corner throughout SukuruKunda. So no one could escpae his message, and so it seemed his strategy paid off. Obviously, it is unfortunate that there is just one Halifa Sallah in SK.

Besides, Ramadan is serious business, encouraging both meditation and introspection during this holiest of months. I cannot think of a better time during which to speak about the correlation Ramadan (when we are, as Moslems, supposed to exercise utmost self-restraint) and the unnecessary  overconsumption of sugar.

Our problem though, is that the Baddibunkolu-cum Basse Fulolu are also Gambia's sugar barons!

Sidibeh