GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:31:00 +0100
Folks

Lets revisit this piece from Ebou Jallow;

Mr. Owens,

Thanks for sharing Halifa's astute interpretation of the electoral results.  These are really very good signs for the opposition.   Come 2006 only the popular vote counts and not the quantity of seats in the National Assembly.   The reason, I believe, for the tie between NADD and the APRC is the state of political suspense or "state of undecidability" in anticipation of the presidential elections next year.
However, the diagnostics should not end there.  The results also signal a tactical imperative for NADD :  They have to come up with a flag-bearer who is charismatic and has sound political judgment and gravitas.  Now let me be very concrete-  I am not rooting for a another doctorate of political science...but a man of political genius such as Omar Jallow (OJ) who has first hand experience of Gambian political practice, and can articulate the passions, values and aspirations of all Gambians across the country.   Jammeh has already a well-established name recognition by virtue of his incumbency.  Apparently, according Halifa's observations, Gambians are now yearning for a change in leadership and they must be assured a credible future.  Otherwise, Jammeh could be "voted" in power again by default....as the saying goes- "The devil you know is better than the one you don't".

Ebou