GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 10:43:20 EST
In a message dated 11/27/99 9:53:25 PM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< I commend the president for openly speaking tough/against corruption.
 However, there are some serious issues—like the alleged Human Rights
 abuses; the ... nocturnal extrajudicial kidnappings, to name a few—that
 need to be addressed. I therefore ask: what is the government doing to
 address those serious issues?

 Thank you for your time.

 Lamin Camara. >>
************************************
This is the million dollar question l think Lamin. Perhaps the government can
start  by vindicating themselves first in any allegations of corruption
directed at them. Secondly, they can also take measures to alleviate any
allegations  of human rights violations, past or present, and implement
measures that will assure all Gambians that their rights  will be safeguarded
as provided for in our constitution. To alleviate  people's fears and assure
them that this is so will not be  automatically  accepted by a population
that has either witnessed  instances of human rights abuses, or live in fear
of it happening to them and their loved ones if they dare to speak the facts
.    Only  if the governemnt  sets a shining and sincere  example by
indulging in sincere self examination  and  acceptance of responsibility
where they are found responsible for violation of rights, be it personal
rights or the freedom of speech of any individual, then their intention to
curb  corruption and persecute the perpetrators  of it will be seen as
genuine, as opposed to it being a tool to make scapegoats out of individuals.

Jabou Joh