GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Nderry M'bai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:38:34 +0000
                                              BY PA NDERRY M'BAI

In this write up, we intends to revisit dictator president Yahya' Jammeh's,
so called farming activities. Having exposed his dubious moves to engage
Gambian men and women into forced labour at his Kanilai farm, we are
surprised to hear Jammeh saying that  he believe to live by example.

JAMMEH THE FAKED FARMER THAT NEVER WAS!!!!

The State House website in Banjul quoted Jammeh as saying that"he is a
natural farmer who believes in leadership by example."  This statement of
Jammeh, is nothing but mere lies and deception. There is no element of truth
in his statement. Gambians are too intelligent to be fooled by such
misplaced statements. If he was natural farmer as he claimed, then he would
subjecting Gambians into forced labour.

Hear Jammeh again in this version of the State House website""If I tell
people go to the land and am sitting down, they will say; after all, he is
telling people to go to the land but what is he doing. After all, there is
no law that says the president cannot be a farmer. So I lead by example and
I think that is why the people heeded my call," the President pointed out.
The President said food self sufficiency is no longer a distant reality.

If Jammeh was a leader by example as alluded to, The Gambia will not be
reduced to a failed state today. He had destroyed almost all fabric of
society in our country. Jammeh had not only succeeded in using our so called
intellectuals as "guinea pigs" but he also succeeded in cowing the civil
populace through his intimidatory tactics.

Still on his statement that he leads by example, why then dictator Jammeh
you woefully failed to allow an independent and impartial Commission of
Enquiry to probe into your ill gotten wealth and other atrocities you had
been linked to over the years. Stop messing with Gambians. We don't buy your
bogus story that you are a leader by example. You can be best describe as a
failed leader interested in aiding and abetting criminals within your
government. We will get to that later.

To further exposed his numerous lies, Jammeh was further quoted as saying
that"if Gambians had taken on agriculture on a scale witnessed this year,
there wouldn't be hunger." How can Gambians be serious about farming,  when
the current regime is unable to guarantee farmers about reliable marketing
of their produce.? For over four years now,  this government is unable to
facilitate the sale of our farmers produce. Is this not a shame.?  Yahya
Jammeh now had the guts to blame our hardworking farming community for the
current hunger and malnutrition current taking place in the tiny West
African country. Look Jammeh, you are nothing but a joker. Stop provoking
our farmers. They are pissed off with your lies.

One good thing Jammeh, had  confirmed is the growing hunger in the country.
This is the reality on the ground. There is no food in The Gambia today.
Most families are going to bed hungry. Few individuals can afford one decent
meal a day. The issue of a  balanced diet is now a forgotten thing. Almost
everybody in the country,  is malnourished. This is why the infant and
maternal mortality is on the rise. Local hospitals across the country speak
of high death rate these days in The Gambia. Even though medical officials
will not openly tell families the real cause of these deaths, one wouldn't
hesitate to conclude that the deaths are due to hunger related incidents.
It's also imperative to note that our life expectancy rate, is also
declining. We are today witnessing more youths dying.

In addition to the hunger issue which Jammeh admitted to, The Gambia is also
at war today with the HIV/AIDS pandemic. Latest findings released by
Gambia's aids researchers say the country's HIV/AIDS infect rate is on the
rise. It's estimated that about 20,000 Gambians are living with the aids
virus, while aids orphans are scattered across the country with little hope
of surviving. There are also unreported cases of HIV/AIDS. The situation is
very scary.

No one had ever implied that Jammeh should not engage in farming activities.
What we are against is the way he go about his so called farming. Using our
parents for cheap labour is unacceptable and unGambian. We expect Jammeh to
be able to take care of his own farming needs without subjecting poverty
stricken Gambians into forced labour. Our young and senior citizens deserved
some degree of decency and respect.

What's  more interesting here is that, Jammeh's  interest in farming, only
came into being after the July 22ND 1994 coup. While  in the military,
nobody heard about him talking about      farming. These are the same people
who will stay in the "Kombos" during summer vacation while their parents are
dying in the country side farming. The late Pa Tamba of Latri Kunda would
have been a potential source,  if he was alive to throw more lights  on
Jammeh's claims that he is a natural farmer.  Tourism minister Susan waffa
Ogoo is afraid to  talk, but she too knows Yahya very well. Both Yahya and
Susan were hosted by the late Pa Tamba,  while they were going to school. We
are not being rude here. All we are interested in is the truth. Yahya
Jammeh should  practice what he preaches.

The natural farmers are in the country side. Despite their low income, they
never contemplate exploiting Gambians. I could vividly remember as a young
man,  in those days, when some elders will be contracted to work on people's
farms for hours just to feed their families,  the next day. Such contractors
were paid and fed well during such occasions. These individuals are not
richer than Yahya Jammeh. They just don't want to exploit their fellow
country men, even though some of them had authority in some localities.
Yahya knows what I'm talking about. He is just interested  in  exploiting
Gambian through his forced labour schemes.

Jammeh is not a natural farmer. He is a faked farmer. It's up to Gambians
working at his Kanilai farm to break the chain of slavery and say 'no to
this forced labour." Your freedom as citizens lies in your hands and not
Yahya Jammeh,  who is hell bent on enslaving you. We must make an end to
this civilised slavery.