GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 21:31:12 EST
<<
 In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

 -----

 AMERICAN MUSLIM MEDIA WATCH - 11/13/99

 -----

 MUSLIMS QUIT JOBS IN PRAYER DISPUTE

 By: Elizabeth Kurylo, The Atlanta Journal - The Atlanta Constitution,
 11/13/1999, Page A; 1

Excerpts:

 "Anab Aden is a devout Muslim from Somalia who prays five times a day, a
 religious obligation that she never misses.

 "So when her boss told her she couldn't pray at work, she was stunned.
 When the boss suggested that she pray in the bathroom, she was so
 offended she quit...

 "...Aden is one of 33 Somalis from Clarkston who quit their jobs at
 Solectron in Suwanee, where they worked in assembly-line jobs making
 cellular phones. They had worked at Solectron from one to six months, and
 in the beginning they were allowed to take two five-minute prayer breaks
 each day...

 "...The Muslim workers would leave the assembly line individually and
 cover for each other so the work got done. But when a new boss started,
 'everything changed,' Aden said...

 "...For three weeks, the Somalis tried to negotiate a settlement that
 would allow them to pray during work. They offered to subtract the prayer
 time, about 10 minutes, from their 30-minute lunch break. They told the
 company that it could deduct the prayer time from their paychecks. The
 company rejected both proposals, Aden said.

 "The Somalis said management never complained about their work. 'Each
 line has to make 500 phones every day and we made more than that, not
 less,' said Deqa Mohamed, 21. 'They said our work was good...'

 "...In a statement from corporate headquarters in Milpitas, Ca.,
 Solectron acknowledges it was asked to address 'unique religious needs of
 one particular group of associates.' The company denied it told the
 Somalis to pray in the bathroom...

 "...In a letter to the head of Solectron in California, S. Eric Shakir,
 civil rights coordinator for the Council of American - Islamic Relations
 in Washington, said the Somalis are prepared to file a charge of
 religious discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

 "In an interview, Shakir said CAIR handled 600 workplace discrimination
 complaints last year, 100 of which had to do with prayer breaks.

 "'It's generally a misunderstanding or ignorance' when it happens, he
 said. 'In one case in Minnesota, we had Muslims who were being told to go
 outside to pray in the cold. When we wrote a letter to them, the CEO
 immediately provided a space for them to pray inside...'

 "...Aden and most of the other Somalis have not yet found new jobs. And
 they worry about how to pay rent and meet other financial obligations.

 "'We're willing to do anything we have to to pray,' Aden said."

 ON THE WEB: Are the Somali workers being discriminated against? Talk
 about it: www.accessatlanta.com/community/forums/

 -----

 ACTION REQUESTED: (As always, be firm, but POLITE. Hostile comments can
 and will be used to harm the image of the American Muslim community.)

 Contact Solectron to ask that the workers be re-hired and allowed to
 prayer.

 Solectron Corporation
 Michael E. Donner
 Corporate Director, Communications
 TEL: 408-956-6688
 FAX: 408-957-2855
 E-MAIL: [log in to unmask] COPY TO: [log in to unmask]

             -----

             Council on American-Islamic Relations
             1050 17th Street N.W., Suite 490
             Washington, D.C. 20036