GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bokaloho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:48:46 -0000
Friends,
It really means a lot to receive your encouraging mails. I just wish Dumo
was in the position to share them with me.
Tomorrow, Tuesday, is the day for the court ruling in the case started on
Friday - i.e. whether the detention was unlawful or not. We hope to fill a
courtroom with sympathisers (BOKA LOHO-members) and journalists.
In case you have not seen it yet, I enclose a copy of a Saturday-mail, which
explains more about the present situation. Thanks to the pressure it seems
the authorities were forced to act, not so:
Saturday 15th July
"Friends,
Yesterday, on my way home from the centre, over the car-radio, the chief of
Police had issued a press release, saying that a number of people (including
Modou Ousman Sarho, Dumo) had been taken to Kanifing Court - suspected for
treason - and that they were to remain in custody in order not to complicate
the investigation. Three people (including Mr Kanteh & Saul Ndow) were still
"wanted". Next week it will be a matter for the High Court. I almost didn't
believe my ears. Just imagine - this had been going on while we were in Bjl
Court!
At the 10 o'clock news I was able to confirm.
Anyway, today I informed Emanuel Joof about it and he will start to gather
information + put pressure on the police so that they allow him to see Dumo
as soon as possible.
Awa Sisay-Sabally called me this morning - she had got the reply from the
police on the vehicle, but that info was a bit messy. MB instead of BMW,
white instead of ash etc...
I'll let keep you updated. Right now I feel a little confused and need to
think of a strategy adapted to this new development...
Thanks for your support, it really means a lot!
Annika"

At least this development must mean that Dumo has the right to see a lawyer,
at least some progress.
I'll keep you updated.
Annika