GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 04:55:05 -0500
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE! NEWS RELEASE
PARTNERSHIP APPEAL BY YOUTH REPORTERS AT JOHANNESBURG ENVIRONMENT
SUMMIT

Johannesburg, South Africa, July 2002 The Global Youth Reporters, an
international group of young people with fresh views on environmental
problems, are seeking media and other partners to work with at the
World  Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD) in Johannesburg next
month.

We aim to provide a young people's view of what the world leaders at
the  Summit are doing about the environment, ten years after their last
big  meeting in Rio de Janeiro. We are looking for partners to help
communicate our reports around the  world, he added. We believe we
can offer some fresh angles, particularly  for media without their own
reporters at the Summit.

The Johannesburg reporting operation will consist of eight young
reporters,  aged 18 to 26, from eight countries: Argentina, Australia,
Czech Republic,  Singapore, South Africa, Uganda, UK and USA.

The reporters will write reports on issues which catch their attention
at the Summit, with special emphasis on youth angles.

Their articles will be published on a new website [www.gyrp.net under
construction], distributed to conference delegates and offered for
publication to national and international media.

The Global Youth Reporters Programme, now entering its third year, was
established to provide a high standard of reporting, by young people
for young people, on environmental and sustainable development issues.

The concept was first tested at the Congress of IUCN - The World
Conservation Union in Amman, Jordan, in 2000 and has since been
developed  through professional training courses and reporting
operations at other  international conferences.

The GYRP has the endorsement of the United Nations Environment
Programme  (UNEP).

Other partners offering various forms of support and cooperation
include the  Global Responsibility Foundation (Switzerland), the Global
Youth Network  (South Africa), the International Institute for
Industrial Environmental  Economics (Sweden), Newsweek International
and Sony International - Europe.

END

Note to Editors

Question and Answer Paper attached.  To discuss possible cooperation or
for further information, please contact:

Mr. Mirza Delibegovic The Global Youth Reporters Programme International
Coordinator - World Summit on Sustainable Development
Email: [log in to unmask]   Fax.: + 44 7092 367 410

July 2002

Global Youth Reporters Programme (GYRP)
World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD) Reporting Operation
(Johannesburg,  26 August to 4 September, 2002)

Q & A Paper

Q.  Who are you?

A.  The Global Youth Reporters Programme is a not-for-profit international
voluntary project with no political affiliations or views. It is endorsed
by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). It is run by young
people from different countries who first met through an environmental
awareness programme developed by the University of Lund, Sweden. It
benefits from the support of a number of international environmental and
media professionals.

Q.     What is your purpose?

A. Our primary objective is to mobilise people and particularly young
people worldwide to involve themselves in sustainable development issues.

Q.       Why ëYouth Reportersí?

A.  We believe in the power of communicating ideas through the media.
Our aim is to reach more people through various local and international
media, inform them about environmental and sustainable development
issues and inspire them to become involved in these global processes.

Q.      Why are you looking for partners?

A.   We would like to work with established media of all kinds in order
to achieve the distribution of our reports to the widest possible audience
around the world.

Q.      What kind of partners are you seeking?

A.  All kinds of reputable media: print, broadcasting and electronic.
including internet portals, websites and syndication services. We would
also be happy to offer our reports to educational institutions, NGOs and
voluntary organisations.

Q.  What are your partnership terms?

A.  Non-financial!  We are looking for distribution and name recognition.
We are prepared to offer our reports free of charge to reputable media
organisations with the option to publish at their discretion.  Our only
conditions are that they must give credit to the Global Youth Reporters
Programme (GYRP), as owner of the copyright and intellectual property
rights, and they must not distort the content of our reports.  We will also
ask media partners to mention our website address.

Q.  What kind of contractual agreement are you seeking?
A.  A simple exchange of letters between GYRP and each partner.

Q.  What is the proposed scope of the partnership?
A.  This appeal is for short-term partnership, just for the duration of
the World Summit. After the Summit, we plan to consult with all interested
parties about longer-term cooperation.

Q. What service will you be offering from the World Summit?
A.  We aim to offer a daily selection of text articles in English covering
a range of WSSD activities and issues, selected by the Youth Reporters.
The reports will be delivered as e-mail attachments in Word format, unless
any other specific arrangements are agreed.  In addition, some photographs
may be offered in electronic form.

Q.  Are you prepared to offer any exclusive deals?
A.  We would be happy to consider offering the exclusivity of our main
WSSD service to a single publication in a single country on terms which
we could discuss, such as publishing a certain number of our articles ñ
and perhaps running a feature of their own about our work!  We would
also welcome requests to cover specific topics on an exclusive basis.
We would simply reserve the right to publish all such articles on our
own website, after an agreed delay and with an acknowledgement if
required to the commissioning publication.

END

PO.Box 26,434/3-Sri Jayawardenapura,Sri
Lanka.<http://www.oneworld.org/slejf>
phone(+94-1)873131/827810Fax(+941)883187 mailto:[log in to unmask]
Archive<http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/environmentaljournalists>
Join the list; mailto:[log in to unmask]