GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:10:39 EDT
In a message dated 7/13/2000 11:54:12 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 For a while now, I have stayed in the background
 reading numerous exchanges between various members of
 the Gambia-L on issues ranging from identity theft, to
 monetary theft, to accusing people of only caring when
 their relatives are touched by Yahya.  While it is
 true that some of these issues are very relevant and
 do need our BRIEF attention, there is such a thing as
 TOP PRIORITY.  And I do believe that the majority of
 you would agree with me that for us at present that
 should be, THE RESTORING OF OUR BELOVED COUNTRY, the
 beautiful and sunny Gambia which was once full of
 smiling faces , thus nicknamed "The Smiling Coast", TO
 DEMOCRATIC RULE WITH VERY LIMITTED NEGATIVE SIDE
 EFFECTS.  >>

Siga:
  On your above quote, while in some case they do not deserve to get attacked
mercilessly, they have given us much insight into the corrupt inner workings
of the regime.  Their interaction with us provides us with ammunition to
address certain issues.  And, consequently, we can write about these issues.
To add, my personal opinion is that the damage that has been done to our
country during the 4 year rule is irreversible.  Years from now, the rule of
this regime plus the human rights violations that have been carried out will
be looked back upon as an indelible stain on the history of The Gambia.  I
pray to God that more dame is not done, though I am quite pessimistic about
this.  Nevertheless, I do agree with the general gist of your piece.

That's all for now.  Have to get back to my AOL Canada project! :)