GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:06:26 -0400
Greetings, I'd heard/read somewhere that the command to cover the hair
was int he Qur'an somewhere, but not sure where, and that the
reference was not only made to hijab/covering the body, but to the
word "kimar" which is often used as the word directly referring to a
head covering!  Though many people use the term "hijab" when referring
to a head scarf, when that term means to cover / dress modestly, in
general.

Proponents who say that hijab/covering the head as well as the body
not only refer to the Qur'an but also to the hadith of the Prophet
where he is demonstrating to a woman that "everything should be
covered except for this and this", and he points to the hands and
face.

So you can't just say "oh it's not in the Qur'an"  and justify it that
way.  Because sometimes the Qur'an will state soemthing in general
terms, and then the sayings, acitons, and deeds of the Prophet will go
into specifics as to how something is carried out.  Pryaer is antoher
example.  But that is another issue.

Ginny

--
Visit my blog at:  http://quickgm28.blogs.com/ginnys_thoughts_and_thing/