GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Gaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:37:28 -0700
Since this is my first ever posting, I have to make the courteous salutation: Greetings Sumai Mborka. Allow me:

Sister Jabou,

I am not going to answer for Joe, but I am going to make my own brief observations. I joined the Gambia_L not too long ago and have been reading with interest.

You made a solicitation for people to contact you privately if they are interested in what you suggested. Why privately? I am sure not to catch up on personal affairs, but affairs of the Gambia. Nothing wrong with that, but that will amount to the private listserv that Joe and others are part of that you have a problem with. And nobody is gonna accuse you of trying to represent all Gambians in the diaspora when something emanates from you private contacts. It should be just seen as helping the opposition. You should see Joe’s endeavor in the same light and not try to duplicate his efforts.

Secondly, Joe has suggested you join other listservs to know how things are progressing. If all of you are really are interested in all things Gambian, you should heed Joe’s advice and you will not miss out on any important discussions going on anywhere (this was my reason for joining Gambia_L). I understand there is a history on Gambia_L that caused the birth of GambiaPost, but you should let go of you egos, pride and arrogance for the good of your dear country.

Jabou, when I first joined GambiaPost, someone made an inference about you and you unsubscribed immediately. If you are that thin skinned about innuendos, do you think you will be able to deflect the bullets that will come your way after you make your private endeavor public? Joe has been able to handle himself very well with all the stuff thrown at him. You should try and emulate him if you want to get into trying to organize Gambians.

My last observation is that almost everyone here treat each other with super kid gloves. Cut it out and be brutally honest to each other. I saw you and Sidibeh starting out your posting on this thread by commending Joe for the good work he is doing. Joe is not looking for “ngistal”. Just tell him the plain old truth without massaging his ego or sugarcoating it. He will one day thank you for helping him out with his deficiencies.

If you or anyone feels that my posting is offensive, I did not mean to and I apologize beforehand. I always try to tell it like it is, albeit sometimes being diplomatic.

Omar

P.S.: These are observations. I will get into the real issue later.