GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:21:17 EDT
Dr Saine,
        Thank you for inviting comments on the Gambia becoming part of
Senegal, or uniting the two countries.  Well, to my own opinion Gambia should
not be part of senegal.  We are all aware of  what happened during the
sene-gambia confederation in 1981/2 and what lead to the birth of the
confederation.
        It was evident that Mr. Jawara use the senegalese to restore his
legitimate government.  He used the same politics to forge that partial
confederation.  The senegalese people are still upset why Jawara use them for
his own gain.  The other issue with Senegal and the Gambia is the fact that
the French are still very much involve in the senegalese government.  Any
decision that will hamper the interest of the French government will hardly
be successful.
        Finally, we are talking about African unity and this should be
pursued collectively involving all African nations.  I therefore do not
favour fake unity that would end up creating hatred between two close nations
as it happen after the failed confederation.
God bless
Demba