GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:20:51 EDT
Here we go again with the incompetent AG chambers exhibiting their
mediocrity for the whole world to see. These people are so dumb and their
positions so indefensible that they cannot put pen to paper. When they are
faced with affidavits, instead of responding in kind, Pap Cheyassin sits in
his cozy office and send novice lawyers to court to go make a fool of
themselves. This would have been almost hilarious had it not involved life
and death issues for some people. So what is their next move now? Do like
they did with the illegally jailed students and run back to court to try and
get the court order overturned? These people have no shame. We counsel those
green lawyers at the AG chambers that next time such nonsense happens, they
should ask Secka to go to court and argue for someone to be illegally
incarcerated. Like I said before, this is a welcomed victory and we
appreciate the assistance of the lawyers. But this is a political problem
and not a legal matter. This problem should not even be solved in the
courts. These people should not be charged with any crime, period. Every
decent Gambian should make that abundantly clear to this regime. The AG
knows that a murder charge cannot stick. But more significant and sinister,
the AG knows that it is highly likely that they can find a judge in Gambia
who can rule that this murder is not a bailable offense. If a judge does
that, Darboe and his supporters will languish in jail while they wait for a
trial for some bogus charges to begin with. That is why I was earlier on
advocating that Darboe's supporters insist that the charges be dropped
forthwith. Darboe's legal team are on shakey grounds on the bail issue if
this matter escalates to the high court as a murder trial. This matter
should be fought at this level. Left to this slimy government and their AG,
they can just charge him with murder in order to silence him during the
campaign season. The master plan of the AG is to try and make the charges
stick for now, regroup and come to court and argue that murder is not a
bailable offense in the Gambia. Guess what? He might succeed too. We
obviously do not want to get to that stage. So I beg Darboe supporters and
the opposition in general to make sure this mockery of our justice system
stops forthwith. These political prisoners should be released to their
families with no strings attached. I would join mori and ask Halifa Sallah
to take a stand on the side of Darboe. It might be Darboe today. Who knows
who's going to be next. Yaya and his gang of thugs cannot be given benefit
of the doubt. There is no room for political correctness here. This is war.
KB