GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MLJ Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:36:18 -0400
Dr. Jones:

I welcome your contribution to the L, but I
partially disagree with part of your economic
theory.  While I disagree in principle, I want
to reiterate that you have a right to be
nonpolitical in your assertion of elements
for a sustainable increase in The Gambia's
per capita income.

It is also true that no two economists will
unilaterally agree in economic principle in
terms of fiscal and social parameters in
sustaining an economic growth.  We are at a
point of conclusion that ideologies and lack
of sound political and economic policies are
culprits that are decaying The Gambia's
economic growth.

The reality of the situation is that dictator
yahya has nothing to say, and thus is saying a
lot about nothing.  This dictator is consumed with
power and prestige and has violated the basic
principles and foundations of human dignity and
cares less about human rights.  A dictator who
cannot lead a civilian government has constantly
agitated the basic foundations of democracy.

The Gambia of today suffers from chronic lack of
democracy, new ideas, new entrepreneurs, new
products, new services, good jobs, progressive
business sectors and life, liberty and pursuit of
happiness.  In short, The Gambia is lacking
better mouse-traps.

The burst of entrepreneurship that so amplified
economic growth and political developments in
other developing countries should be encouraged
in The Gambia.  For this to take place, Dictator
yahya must be driven out of The Gambia.  The
culprit is not a dearth of new ideas, but far
more spurious and chronic shortcomings: a lack
of readily available working capital and the
ignorance of the military junta of The Gambia.
It is indeed unfortunate that The Gambia's
entrepreneurial zeal is been sapped by the
chronic malady of capital financing and
military dictatorship at the direction of dictator
yahya jammeh

Today's entrepreneurs in The Gambia should
realize that jobs, especially good jobs with
decent wages and opportunity for advancement and
growth are such precious commodities that
without them the entrepreneur sector is dead.  As
such, there exists in The Gambia inadequate
operating capital in local, state and regional
economic development programs.

Our responsibility therefore, is to engage
economists in debates that are quantifiable and
understanding.  We also advocate truth in
analysis and welcome critical reasoning in our
assertions.

Naphiyo,

Comrae ML Jassey-Conteh