GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
edi sossoeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:01:35 +0000
Infact,  my source telephoned me last night saying the government is
apparently worried about the IMF move.  It is contempulating embarking on a
major job cuts.  However, this move is not popular among the top brass of
the regime.  One source said panic and   anxiety continue to grip government
officials,  as the bombshell  is bound to  roll in the civil service.
Another source said any move to down size the civil service might bring
more economic hardship to poverty stricken civil servants.

The country is not only faced with economic down town, but as well as cash
shortage.     The Pound is trading at D52 dalasi, while Dollar, EURo and CFA
Franc is flying day by day.  The Central Bank should be honest enough to
tell the reality on the ground.   My sources from Banjul, revealed that
overUS$ 20million dollars  went uncounted for at the Central Bank.   The IMF
is furious about level of corruption in the country.  Yahya's second man and
closet associate Baba Jobe, is engaged in tax evation and private foreign
excahange activities, which is adding more fire to the cash shortage.  It is
time for this greedy politicians to be exposed.  They are milking the
nation's coffers and nobody dared  to stop them.   They are running private
business firms under cover, and most of the time are evading taxes.  It
doesn't take one to be an economist to know that Gambia's economy is in
shamble.  Jobe and his  cohorts must know that the very regime they are
serving toppled the Jawara regime on the pretext of rampant corruption and
lacked of accountability.  But today,  there is a  complete U turn.  They
have deviated from their orginal pronouncements. What a shame.    They have
desmontrated that they are more corrupt than the Jawara regime.

In a related development Baba Jobe is said to owing the state about
D20,000million worth of tax.  His youth enterprise had been evading taxes.