GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 15:49:21 +0100
There goes Dr Ayitteh again, and this time he strikes at Halifa with condescending remarks. As Gambians we know Halifa far better than Ayitteh, and it`s time for us to do some talking. I share Ayitteh`s comments regarding the contribution of some African intellectuals in the mess ravaging the continent, but I`ll hasten to inform him that Halifa does not belong to that category. This is a man who is committed to the development of the lives of the Gambian people and the country as a whole, and he is at pains to realise this.

What is so wrong and "absolete" about pointing out the evils of "western colonialism and imperialism"? Yes it is true that Halifa points out the problems these forces have created in the underdevelopment of the continent, but I cannot remember anywhere where he stated that they are to blame for everything. We all know that most of our post-independence leaders had messed up big time, and Halifa as far as I can remember has been eloquent in pointing out where these leaders went wrong.The average Gambian has experienced a life of total decadence and deprivation, lack of adequate educational and health facilities and a life of the ghettoes and slums. These are among other things which Halifa has been struggling to rectify, and he had always made his message across to The Gambian  leaders. Sir Dawda knows about this. So , to categorize him as part of those who believe that African leaders can do no wrong is totally unfounded. I`m sure Halifa knows that Nyerere was not all perfect, but he should not be chastized for giving the man the credit he deserved in the manner of Dr Ayitteh.

This leads us again to the topic on our African intellectuals. The younger generation is looking up to you as role models, so please do not mislead us. You should not bark just because you are told to do so.