GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:29:42 EDT
Mr Ousman Jallow Bojang,

I'm not surprised you came out to defend Essa Bokarr Sey. Of course, i knew
all along that you and Essa are friends. What, however, surprised me is the
despicable manner in which you distorted certain parts of my piece in the
name of defending Essa. Calling your defence of Essa dishonest would be to
put it mildly.You were either extremely ignorant or downright dishonest when
you wrote some of the false things you wrote in your defence of Essa. Anyway,
having read your pathetic attempts to rebut my piece, i think you are the
wrong person to defend Essa on this. Besides, my quarrel is not with you but
with Essa and all corrupt APRC apparatchiks and it would be counter
productive to take you on that primarily doesn't concern. Or are you now
officially an APRC apparatchik on Gambia-L? Can you answer why APRC
functionaries like Essa are class obsessed and plundering Gambia's scarce
resources in the vain pursuit of class and social status? If you can't answer
this question, then i'm afraid it would be a total waste of my time to take
you and your objections seriously.

Then as now, Essa is in this forum writing under the nom de guerre of "Lamin
Ceesay" - why hasn't he DIRECTLY refute the gist of what i've written? Then
as now, who is in a better position today than Essa to refute all that i've
written? He merely and indirectly raised a few demurrers about private ethics
and foolishly tried to convince himself that the alibi he has created for
"Lamin Ceesay" is still intact. See the other problem i've noticed about your
friend is that when he is caught in the act, he behaves like an ostrich on
the run that believes that by burying its head in the sand it would in effect
be remain hidden from its pursuers. In other words, whilst people are staring
at its butt, the ostrich tries to persuade itself that it still remains
invisible from the eyesight. You just couldn't make it up!

As it is, i stand by what i have written in my last piece. Since the piece in
question is satirical, it is bound to be laced with hyperboles. Other than
that, i stand by everything i said in that piece. If the veracity of the
piece is still the case, none is in a better position than Essa himself to
refute what i have said. As i have said in the piece, the story i narrated
was neither intended to be malicious nor was it personal. Believe me if i
wanted to be personal with Essa, you would be surprised about the things i
know about Essa's private life that i can mischieviously parade around. But
those things are irrelevant to my agenda. Even if they are relevant, my
liberal inclinations tell me that there is a private sphere as well as a
public one; and what is private ought to be respected as private and vice
versa. What i narrated is very crucial to understanding the mess Gambians
currently find themselves in. I had deliberately left out family names to
avoid being personal. And believe me there were juicy bits and pieces that i
could have added to the story but refused to do so on the grounds that it
would tantamount to being vindictive and personal.

I will repeat again: insofar as the objections are not related to the
hyperboles invariably inherent in satirical works, i stand by everything i've
written in my piece. In conclusion, i challenge Essa Bokarr Sey to DIRECTLY
refute all that i've written about him in that piece.

Hamjatta Kanteh