GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matarr Sajaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:14:46 EDT
According to Sahiou Mballow, his sources confirm that the leaders of
the UDP movement have been arrested and charged with murder. If
this statement is verifiable, then action must be taken immediately to
release these people.

If we subscribe to the phenomenon "Political Freedom" then this kind of
authoritarian dictatorship must be crushed. We need to contact the UDP
leadership and form a pact to fight this type of injustice. The opposition
must be allowed to thrive. The opposition is the cornerstone of a democratic
process. Without a viable opposition then we do not have a democracy but
dictatorship.

It is frustrating to see people like Jammeh, forces the Gambian people to
believe that power doesn't belong to them. Power belong to the people, is
controlled
by the people and must be used by the people against tyranny. To be on the
sidelines and live on the notion that politics doesn't effect you is like
given up your
rights to citizenship. This idiot must be captured and prosecuted BY ANY MEANS
NECESSARY.

I think we must revisit Rene's citizens empowerment initiatives with
seriousness.
If the civic groups in the Gambia are taking a dormant approach to the events
in the
Gambia then we need to investigate why?  Why is the Bar association, the
teachers
union, the workers union, the churches, the Mosques and other associations
not in
the driver's seat to mobilize citizens boycott like Hamadi stated?

I want to commend the independent newspaper for their aggressive take on the
issues.
The Gambian journalist must give responsible and balanced feedback to the
people. If their objective is to pamper the Monster then they should join the
staff of the new AFPRC newspaper.

Thank You.
Matarr Sajaw.
Jammeh must Go.