GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:23:22 -0500
Joe, you are absolutely right that fair-minded Gambians should protest this
INJUSTICE being meted on Dumo et al. This can only happen in a Dictatorship
like the one we live in. I wished Gambians saw this lawlessness the same way
you see it; i.e. this is NOT the problem of these defenseless captives
alone. This is a problem for the whole society. When this injustice first
started we told people that Yaya and his cohorts have just lowered the
threshold again. All it now takes for an innocent Gambian to be railroaded
(abducted and jailed, incommunicado) is for an Italian rat to tell LIES
about you. This man could have lied about any Gambian. For instance, he LIED
about Gambians from different works of Life. Gambians that NEVER knew each
other before this incident. What we should have fought and what we should be
fighting for is for the laws of the land to be applied such that innocent
citizens are NOT jailed for crimes they NEVER committed in the first place.
That is the principle we should fight for irrespective of whether Dumo is
our family member or friend or we know the other accused persons. It is
WRONG to jail innocent people. Period. It is just mind-boggling to think
that we have citizens in the country that have been jailed for more than a
year over some spurious and bogus accusations from an Italian rat.

But Joe, this INJUSTICE comes as no surprise to a lot of people. I dare say
that Dumo et al can count themselves somewhat lucky. I say that because I
know of numerous others that have been summarily executed in that country
simply because some dubious LIAR accused them of plotting a coup. It might
have missed many the other day when that ex-soldier (Kejau) said that his
life was once saved by Sam Sarr. Had the man gone ahead and explained what
he meant, you will realize the kind of sick society we live in and how
paranoid the vermin are. You will then realize how precarious people’s lives
are, in the hands of the thugs at the NIA. Kejau is right to say that he
would have been history by now, had others not intervene to put reason in
Yaya’s thick and paranoid skull. The sad thing though is that had he been
slaughtered or jailed, not even his own family members will stand up to
fight for his murderers to face justice. This appeasement of tyrants has to
stop. You are right that people will not receive anything on a plate from
the Dictatorship. People have to fight for what is theirs; starting with
people like Kejau that are directly affected by the Dictatorship.

Finally, I think it was also timely to try and appeal to the politicians
back home. I must admit that I have not been following political happenings
thoroughly, but I understand that Local Government elections are in the
horizon. This is yet another opportunity for the Parties to come together
and explore means of getting rid of the Dictatorship. As always, I am for
the removal of the Dictatorship by any means necessary. If it takes Local
Government elections, so be it. Let’s just get rid of the vermin. We do NOT
need people that abduct innocent citizens, murder children and loot
government coffers.
KB