GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elow Wole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:00:47 GMT
Latjor!  This was only meant to be a suggestion, but it seems you can't
follow through. I will be a little more thorough with you.  Have a seat and
be my student.

First, allow me to recant your thorny efforts to sell your website.  You
claimed to be the best in the business coz your experiences date as far back
as 1993/94 when few Gambians knew what www was all about.
Can you tell me what is so special about your website Latjor?  HTML4.0?
Java? I guess you were caught by surprise when the likes of George came
around.  Now all of a sudden, you are a CEO of a website.  Are you kidding
me?  You love titles, don't you?  And you're doing a pretty darn job at
selling yourself.  Did you say that "the site was prematurely launched...",
perhaps by an amateur?   You've gotta wake up brother.  It's 2000 and quite
a lot of people have gotten computer savvy.  8 yr olds around the globe are
building websites and hacking restricted sites everyday.  For in most cases,
building a site is as tedious as the time it takes to do it, trust me. You
have to convince me Latjor.   "Nough said on sites.

Now to my suggestion:  I do see the need of a physical Gambian office in the
U.S. that is fully staffed, not just a secretary.  You probably wonder time
and time again why it's so hard to be successful within ourselves.  Why
can't we all get along.  Part of the answer to this problem is the lack of
trust and confidence in each other.  Take the upcoming July 4th celebrations
for example.  There are 2 committees in Atlanta.  WHY?  The same problem
happened in D.C. back in '95 and probably still ongoing.  The problem lies
in transparency and accountability.  Why the need for 5-10 different money
collectors when you can set up an account or create a mailing list database.
  With a mailing list for example, all you have to do is assign a treasurer
and give him a few hundred tickets with ticket numbers;  Send your mailings
to the Gambian community with a return envelope (for contributions)
enclosed.  Have a change of address field in your letter as well as in your
website for anybody wishing to update their information.  Latjor, whenever
you deal with money, you need to have a business plan to accompany your
goal.  Proper business is done properly. Be professional for God's sake!  I
have organized numerous programs (in school/work - nonprofit) with 5-6
different organizations and achieved tremendous success.  Advertisement
alone is not the key.  Feel free to steal my ideas as you've done with Mr.
Sarr's website.

We've had so many July 4th's, ALDs, Labor Day's with the likes of you
involved and never seen any significant outputs.  Contributions kept soaring
to the high $50s while food prices remained fairly stable.    If you need
further directions, I will be at the stop sign, WAITING.

Essa