GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:34:58 EST
Thank you Victoria for your article in the comments and analysis section of
City A.M. It is interesting that the squalor of Gambian prisons is only now
becoming a concern to the citizens of UK and the investment world. I have
always  held the belief and value that it is only a matter of time when injustice
in  Tananarive will unduly affect justice in Wales. It will have been
instructive  for Carnegie to take spectacular delinquencies into account and insist on
amelioration of squalor prior to worsening it by aiding and abetting such.

We the Gambian citizens, and indeed some other African citizens have always
been aware of the decrepitude and delinquencies in Gambia and we have before
now  yelled as loud as we could to warn of the corrosive character of
indifference and general malaise. Be that as it may, I wish to share some ideas  with
Mr. Hopkins that may in my view, bring more perspective to Carnegie's
diminished fortunes.

[A tale of uranium smuggling claims and squalid African prison cells]
Victoria Bates.

I refer Mr. Hopkins to a speech made by Yahya Jammeh, possibly in Hopkins'
presence, where Yahya boasted about the discovery of commercially viable
minerals. Yahya had intimated to the gathering that Gambia will therefore be a
superpower. Now you don't get to be a superpower whatever that means by the mere
presence and of Rutile, Zirconium, and Ilmenite. What Yahya was alluding to
was  Uranium even though Yahya does not understand fission and fusion theory.
Yahya  went further to advise that he did not make the discovery public prior
because  he had wished to upgrade national security commensurate with a nation
with  Uranium deposits. It was funny and incredible to me then, and it still
is  to me today. I was terribly disappointed however to realise that Mr.
Hopkins and  Carnegie did not take that to be aberrant commentary especially given
that they  have not discovered uranium in any appreciable quantity or quality.
Never mind  precedence in Alimenta V. Gambia. Yahya also went on to invoke
colonial  exploitation referring to Titans earlier operations and the distasteful
commerce  in slaves. I can only deduce that Carnegie and Mr. Hopkins were
only interested  in the mechanics of extraction and shareholder dividends. And
not the people. So  please forgive me if I do not do cartwheels over this title
and Carnegie's  newfound philanthropy.

[But this isn't a Graham Greene novel, it's real life.] Victoria  Bates.

In Gambia, the surreal is real.

[Alan Hopkins, boss of miner Carnegie talks to Victoria Bates:
THE  managing director of mining firm Carnegie Minerals, Alan Hopkins, has
had a  challenging week. However, his worries have been nothing compared to the
ordeal  his manager in the Gambia, Charlie Northfield, has endured. Northfield
was  arrested on 15 February and only released from a squalid prison on
Friday  afternoon after being bailed for $450,000 (£225,000).] Victoria Bates.

We are relieved and pleased that Charlie Northfield is now free. It would
have been more pleasing if he were released sooner and sans bail. I would not
count on a speedy trial any time soon.

"The 47-year-old father of three from Plymouth had spent a week in shocking
conditions, sharing a cell with seven inmates but without power or hope of
getting in telephone contact with his family.] Victoria Bates.

The seven inmates still endure the squalor that entities like Carnegie aid
and abet.

[Northfield, his Australia-based employer Carnegie and partner firm Astron
are accused of illegal mining and of smuggling material, including uranium, out
 of the country. Hopkins says: “All we can say from our side is that the
allegations are completely unfounded — it’s all an incredible  misunderstanding.“
]

Incredible and incredulous. To us, the citizens of Gambia, the argument  over
mineral smuggling and its veracity is not terribly significant amid murder,
maiming, and general decrepitude. Especially when partners thereto squabble
over  insignificant farthing.

[We were just desperate to get our guy out. Charlie was in a really
vulnerable position. He’s in mobile contact with us now and is just glad to be  out.
It wasn’t something he’d wish on anyone.”] Hopkins.

We share your relief that Charlie is now free and hopefully free to rejoin
his lovely family in the UK.

[IMMEDIATE WITHDRAWAL
The saga began a month ago, when the Gambian  government told Carnegie to
cease operations and Carnegie withdrew its personnel  from the country.] Victoria.

I think the cessation was ordered by Yahya Jammeh through a personal
representative. I can assure you it was not court order emanating from the  judiciary
as should have been the case under normal arrangement. Here, we renew  our
request for a copy of the MINING LICENSE. Not the exploration lease.

[Then two of the Gambia’s top officials visited Britain on 4 February and
the company was assured that the Gambia wanted operations to be  restarted.]

The two "Top" government officials presumably are the Attorney General  and
the secretary of state for foreign affairs. Peculiar. And Carnegie was so
eager to resume purely extractive operations, ides of Alimenta V. Gambia were a
distant consideration. Fall-Guy; Charlie Northfield.

[It was told the safety of its employees was not at risk.]

Indeed. And Alimenta was not given similar assurances when Yahya realised
persons in detention are more valuable than real asset in extortions. Incredible
 Carnegie. I am informed that Carnegie has a comprehensive analysis operation
 which valuates her investments regularly.

[Northfield returned to start planning the restarting of operations. He was
arrested shortly afterwards. Given the circumstances, it’s hard to ignore the
possible implications for foreign investment in the Gambia. After the “
groundnut  incident” of 1999 — when the Gambian government was forced to pay Swiss
company  Alimenta $11.4m (£6m) after seizing the firm’s processing plants as a
result of  allegations that it had been involved in money laundering — firms
are reluctant  to move operations there and Carnegie’s recent problems won’t
exactly boost the  country’s reputation.] Hopkins.

I see Alimenta V. Gambia is only now valuable. In historic hindsight. I am
so terribly disappointed at Carnegie I'm on the brink being insolent. But I
will  yield for sobriety.

[NEW RESERVES
“It’s hard to speculate on the longer-term implications  for the Gambia, but
if you have an agreement with a government then both sides  have to actually
follow that agreement.] Hopkins.

IF YOU HAVE AN AGREEMENT WITH A GOVERNMENT. All indications are that  Hopkins
and Carnegie were dealing with Yahya Jammeh and that they wished it to
remain so. We renew our request for the mining license which should be in  the
public domain all along. If I were Yahya, I would have afforded myself  the
services of a TNC. But because the License/Agreement was between Carnegie  and
Yahya, that was not a valuable consideration. The Department of Physical  Planning,
Geology, and Environment were only surrogates. Their activity must not  be
seen as participating government entities. I am sure that could easily be
established in any court of law. The era of the Millenium pre-supposes that
thievery, enslavement, and deceit will be extremely difficult to conceal.

[If you don’t do that, there’s no firm base to operate on,” says  Hopkins.]

A GOVERNMENT nonetheless. If you convince yourself that you are dealing  with
a government, it is easy to overlook stark decrepitude I  suppose.

[Financially speaking, the loss of Carnegie’s Gambian project won’t have a
great impact on the company, as the joint venture was funded primarily by
Australia-listed Astron. However, says Hopkins, the fiasco will be a setback for
the development of the regional mining project he has planned for the African
 west coast. company has been drilling and has found new reserves and Hopkins
 wants eventually to turn the project into something much bigger. “Our
project in  the Gambia was a stepping- stone,” he says. “There were deposits there
which had  been known about for 50 years but they were small and not such good
quality.]

The impression that the Gambia deposits were very small and not of such  good
quality is at variance with the impression Carnegie communicated to Yahya
and Carnegie and Astron's shareholders. In fact, there was jubilation about  the
quality of the deposits and its proximity to the more expansive Senegalese
deposits for value in economies of scale.

[We’d been in the country for a few years when we looked across and  realised
that what’s in the Gambia should also be over the border in Senegal.  So, we
entered into an agreement with the government and the project’s still  going
strong. Senegal is a much bigger country, so our targets are potentially  on a
much larger scale.”] Hopkins.

I hope Carnegie/Astron learns from the Gambian experience and ammend their
disposition vis-a-vis Senegal. There, it is the government you are dealing with
 as you must have realised. You must be up-front with value-yield and insist
on  propriety or else you close shop. In this era of international commerce,
propriety and good governance are the most important bases for investment. Who
 am I to advise Carnegie/Astron? A Gambian citizen.

[Hopkins, who’s been in the mining industry for almost 30 years, is
confident that the resources sector will prove resilient, despite current  turmoil.]
Victoria Bates.

The resiliency of the resources sector is directly proportional to
investment security.

[POSITIVE AMBASSADORS
“We’re certainly seeing a lot of demand from  buyers in the big developing
countries like India and China,” he says. “In  relation to the stock markets,
they’ve obviously fallen everywhere.”
Carnegie is, as Hopkins puts it, a “production story”. While many of its
competitors are simply exploring, the company has moved into production but
needs a higher profile. “The problem is, we’re below the radar,” he says. “Our
target is now to step up onto a larger scale in various countries. London’s a
 big market and you’ve got to be a certain size to get a full evaluation of
where  you are.”] Victoria Bates.

I presume this was a speech for the shareholders of Mr. Hopkins.

[He’s hoping that the company will be driven forward by its new
undertakings, including the project in Senegal and another venture which  Carnegie has
been working on for five months but whose location is being kept  under wraps. “We
’re not far away on it,” he says. “We can’t say yet where it  is.”]

WE CANT SAY YET WHERE IT IS. I suppose the competitive nature of the mining
industry precludes corporate citizenry. I hope the citizens of that nation are
 informed and regularly.

[Short-term, Hopkins’s top priority is throwing out the “ludicrous” Gambian
charges against the company and Charlie Northfield, but Carnegie’s ordeal
there  does not seem to have put him off expanding into other countries. “]

Hopkins still doesn't get it does he? I think he means the ludicrous  charges
of Yahya Jammeh.

[Somebody asked me this morning whether I regretted going to the Gambia,”  he
says.
“But it’s funny — although we obviously have a lot of concerns about  what’
s happened, we achieved a lot there.]

OK.

[We created about 140 local jobs and fully trained up our workers.]  Hopkins.

Someone had to mine the beach sand. It will have been uneconomic to import
miners from Britain, China, or Australia for such mundane activity. And they
must be trained to do their job. This is not philanthropy considering the 140
persons are a captive labour pool with very little or no alternative for
survival.

[They didn’t even have shoes,] Hopkins.

I am confident if they could have produced more volume without shoes,
Carnegie will be more than happy have them mine barefoot.

[and we gave them protective work gear.] Hopkins.

I am pleased Carnegie complies with some labour standards for the safety of
their productive inputs.

[We gave them inoculations for their health.] Hopkins.

Indeed. Slaves were fed while en-route in ships. Some however went on  hunger
strike for conscience sakes.

[“And if the local primary school needed a building, we’d send our men up
for the day and work on it for them for nothing. We even sponsored the local
footie team. We really were positive ambassadors, and I’m proud of that.” By
Victoria Bates]

If I were Hopkins, I will cease with this cockamayme story about good
corporate citizen and positive ambassadors. Those qualifiers are for the  citizens
to determine. Not Carnegie and Astron to advertise. It just rings  hollow for
some reason. I take this opportunity to renew our request for  the mining
license.

This is Haruna. I just hope someone will tell the truth for once without
regard of consequences or perceptions thereof. I am very disappointed. Citizen
goodwill is slowly being eroded.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)