GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:27:45 +0000
Nothing is more adverse to human survival than hunger. I know mankind is
face with numerous calamities but the most devastating one is that of
hunger. It is very common of us to see on our screens  African children
being shown with pot bellies that are swollen due to hunger and
malnutrition. Hunger therefore is the leading world calamity, hence it
should be the duty of every country to ensure that such a harsh circumstance
does not visit it. How a country avoids being trapped in such a situation
requires planning and thoughtfulness. Science and technology is here to
serve mankind it does not belong to any race or continent, hence the
application of science could go a long way into averting such a scenario.
But a people living in ignorance cannot capitalise in the wisdom of science
all they do is leave things to mother nature. From events around the world
one can see that nature can be very hostile but at the same time it has
potentials than can be enhanced to ensure survival. Imagine the panic in the
country when the rains fail to show people went to great lengths to ensure
rains: prayers were conducted. Notwithstanding that prayers can be a good
thing, well at least psychologically, we could have develop continge3ncies
that will not make us depend entirely on rains. For instance Gambia has a
river that stretches the length of the country can we not open up canals
that will be utilised to produce  us sufficient food that could last for a
very long time. This way even with certain minimal forms of drought we would
be able to deal with them. But in Gambia the slighthiest show of droughts
exposes our vulnerability. A country that is entirely dependent on the
forces of nature and the exigencies of this phony market econmoy is bound to
be held to ransom constantly.  TO BE CONTINUE.......