GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:13:34 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Will Cusack [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2000 7:35 AM
To: Will Cusack
Subject: House Increases Funding For Debt Relief And AIDS

Good morning State Chairs,

The House of Representatives initiated a major reversal in support of
debt relief and the battle against aids. Twenty-Six republicans  crossed
party lines to join a majority of democrats and one independent in
approving the debt relief measure by a vote of 216-211. The measure more
than tripled the loan forgiveness from $69 million to around $225
million. After passing the debt relief bill, the House overwhelmingly
increased federal funding for AIDS by $42 million to $244 million. The
measure passed by a vote of 267-156.

As reported in the Washington Post, Rep Spencer Bacchus (AL) stated that
"never before in history has one country had so much progress, wealth
and luxury. Now, with the start of the new millennium, we can do so much
for a billion of the poorest citizens of the world." Rep Steve Largent
(OK) said that "we have a moral responsibility to address the AIDS
epidemic in Africa. It's reached such proportions, it's just out of
control." Rep. Maxine Waters (CA) said that the unified support of the
bill strengthened the chances of passing the bill through the White
House. She stated that the House of Representatives "sent [President
Clinton] a strong message he needs to demand debt relief."

Thank you everyone who contacted their congressional representatives in
support of debt relief and AIDS funding. With your untiring energy and
persistent call for action, you have shown Congress and the nation that
Africa Matters.

For more information on the votes, please follow the links listed below.
If you have trouble opening the links, copy them and paste them in the
address bar of your web browser:
Washington Post Article:
http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39981-2000Jul13.html
Maxine Waters (CA) Debt Relief Amendment:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d106:3:./temp/~bdhTmg::
Barbara Lee (CA) AIDS Amendment:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d106:4:./temp/~bdhTmg::
Brad Sherman (CA) AIDS Amendment:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d106:6:./temp/~bdhTmg::

If you have any questions or comments, do not hesitate to contact me.
Please let me know if we can do anything to assist you.

Will Cusack
Legislative Advocacy and National Outreach
National Summit on Africa
1819 H Street, NW, Suite 810
Washington, DC  20006
(800) 934-3418 phone
(202) 861-8645 fax

Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
1. Fill in the brief application
http://click.egroups.com/1/6628/12/_/23029/_/963589101/

Next meeting Wed., July 26, 7 PM, Douglas-Truth Library, 23 and E Yesler, Seattle, see web site for details.  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe sending a blank message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a blank message to [log in to unmask]  For complete information on the Washington State Africa Network visit: www.ibike.org/africamatters