GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:47:40 EST
Gassama:
You missed the point I was trying to make.  IMO, the two assertions you are
trying to make, 1. That the progress of Kanilai from small village to a
bigger town like Brikama is blown out off proportion and 2. that this somehow
gives us some insight into Jammeh's view of the Opposition, are bereft of
basic logic if we use your forwarded article from the point as reference.

When I said that the excerpt from Hamat Bah was mumbo jumbo I meant that it
was really difficult to make anything out of it.  His talk of big walled
houses, big American cars and also about how Kanilai is like any major
Gambian town clearly betrays the fact that in the space of a few years this
village has come a long way.  This, certainly by Gambian standards.  It shows
that much investment has gone into the place during this period.  I would
certainly know what the standard this talk of exaggeration is based on.
Maybe you can help here..

Second, nowhere in the article did it say the meeting on "good governance" at
the Sindola Camp was a platform where Opposition leaders try to forge ties
with the sitting regime.  Could you provide some background info or evidence
on how you came to this conclusion?  I certainly thinking a meeting between
the powers that be and all the Opposition parties could possibly help move
the country forward but I was not aware any such arrangements had been
scheduled to take place regularly

- Yus.