GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 12:19:58 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Sonko Bakary
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 12:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Expression of outrage at killings in The Gambia.

Gambia-L,

I wish to express my sincere condolences to the families of all those who
lost their lives yesterday at the student demonstrations in The Gambia. It
is outrageous to learn that our future, the youths of our nation, are
callously killed in this manner.

I also wish to join all the other people on this list and elsewhere, in
condemning in the strongest term possible, the senseless killing of
defenseless children and civilians which took place.  There can be no
justification for such brutality and, the individuals who ordered it should
be made accountable for their actions in our courts.  Brut force is not
going to solve the innumerable problems we have in our country.  The
demonstration planned by the students must have been known to the
authorities who ordered this carnage.  If appropriate actions were taken to
properly control and direct the demonstration, this horrible tragedy could
have been avoided.  The powers to be failed in their duties and the outcome
is a tragic lost to our nation.  We must all strive for truth,democracy and
accountablility in our country.  If we achieve this, then the death of these
defenseless children and civilians will not be in vain.  This was what they
were fighting for.

May Allah, The Almighty grant the deceased eternal rest.

Bakary J Sonko