GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:57:06 +0200
The "Fankanta" Society in collarboration with the committee
acting in Germany to collect and raise fund in support of the "Fund" established in connection with the topic, will stage a programm on the 24th. of June 2000 in Frankfurt city.
We will be very please too if you would append your signatures to that of the many in condemning this barbaric act.

Join us in exercising solidarity with peace and love, democray, human rights and respect for life.
We say no! to violent resolution of difference in opinion.

Place: Haus Gallus
           Franken Allee 111
          60326 Frankfurt
Time: 18.00hrs.
All enquiries should be directecd to [log in to unmask]

Added to that there is something else i would like to point at.
It is human that dust sometimes settle very quickly over some events in life. Therefore let us try not to forget this dark day of our history. Secondly the fund should continue to exist so that we are always financialy equiped to react swiftly to meet the demands. By that brothers and sisters i mean let us not donate to this fund only once but as much as possible; let adobt methods to make it a living thing, the accademic as well as praixis aspects need our constant perseverence.
The Gambia and her people need us. Today more than before.
The average Gambian accademica are to a great percent abroad. And this constitutes the largest percentage of the potential youth.
Therefore lets try with the help of modern technology which facilitates contact between us, to expand  and redouble our efforts to be masters of our destiny and not to live things to predestination or for others to do that for us what we could be able to do on our own.

When we are prepaird and have National development as our task by identifying our long- and short term goals then we can all contribute meaningfully and thus bringing about a certain development.

As far as i am informed we until now  individuals are identified to establish accounts and collect the donations but a structure has not yet been sellected who will be responsible for usage of the fund.
I thing it is hightime for this to be done so that people know who to contact and how.I would suggest too to give the incentive a larger concept which will detail more global aims thus creating more room in excersing solidarity.
There should be structure in place to plan and coordinate
the "Fund" .This i think will adorn the "Fund" in the form it needs to exist.
I was told that after the release of the students arrested, they had a meeting with  the lawyers who fought their case. That they were told that their efforts to get them released is free of charge. But should there be charges against individuals they would expect to be paid for. But at the same time it was brought to their notice that a handfull of Gambians abroad are raising fund who perhaps may take the bill.
The need for the Fund to start collecting information about the possible cases that could be supported should also start by now.
Thanks in advance
Morro Ceesay