GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:29:29 EDT
In a message dated 6/10/03 5:22:02 PM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

Essa Bokar Sey, is trying to get Jammeh on the Board of Commission on
Reparations for Peoples of African Descent

> On another note, Jammeh will be staying at the Omni Hotel in DC for three
> days, at such an absurd cost of $42,000. If one adds the cost of fueling
> Yahya's
> jet, landing rights fees, limousines, security details and the $$ giveaway
> binge, a cool $100,000 could be wasted on this trip to the USA, even in the
> face
> dire hunger, sickness, and abject poverty of the masses.

Well, I am sure that Black Folks in this country would like to have credible
people on this board in order to be taken seriously regarding this matter. I
think dictators who are oppressing their African brothers and sisters on the
continent even as they are fighting for justice in this country  is the last
person they need on a board that is asking for reparation. The impression it will
leave is not a pretty one at all. Yaya Jammeh and his record will be a
diservice to such a board, and these people have to realize that.
I think that it is time for Gambians to start picketing infront of the White
House whenever a group of us has time or are in the D.C area. This will enable
us to bring the plight of Gambia into the limelight,  and to make it be known
to the Bush administration that any assistance given to this regime will not
benefit our people. I think the White House needs to know that even as Jammeh
is asking for AID in the name of starving Gambians who have been rendered so
by his mismanagement and corruption, his wife takes private jets all the way to
Washington for mere pediatric visits for her child and to squander our
resources shopping in exclusive Georgetown boutiques while the average Gambian is
now hard pressed to feed their families and get them adequate health care.
I was told that now water shortage has been added to the hardships people
face in Gambia. I understand water is now turned on and off just like the
electricity. Can anyone confirm this?
Does anyone know the dates Jammeh is coming to D.C?
Does Jesse Jackson and other prominent Black leaders in this country know
about Jammeh's  record and his attempts to get on the reparations board?

Jabou Joh