GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:59:21 +0000
Mo, thanks for your inquiry and sorry for my delayed response.  Time was not
on my side and I hope you do understand.  The attachment that was supposed
to accompany my mail is a list of those that pledged/contributed to the
Media Fund to date.  The idea of the fund was first suggested by Yus Jow a
while back around the same time of the introduction of the Save The Gambia
Fund.  Later on someone suggested that it be merged to the STGF, but that
was not agreed upon.  I believe the idea came forth following the first
attempted torching of the Independent Newspaper or the detention and torture
of some journalist, I'm not quite certain which in my recollection.  It was
a good idea that I believed we should embark upon.  Then came another
incident that occurred between a journalist and the APRC/NIA (Ebrima Sillah
please help out).  Ebrima Sillah, a BBC journalist based in Dakar, I
believe, suggested for Gambians to contribute $1 per month to help the
private media.  An overwhelming majority of the respondents agreed with his
suggestion.  Since there were no volunteers to host the fund, I volunteered
to start it with the hope of transitioning it to some other volunteer later,
but there were no takers.  Thus far, the pledgees are Ebrima Sillah, Soffie
Ceesay, Chris Sukuna, Baba Galleh Jallow, Cynthia Daniels and Joe Sambou.
Some of us pledged for other members of our families.  Thus far, the
contributors are Soffie Ceesay $60 Pledged $5 per month), Cynthia Daniels
$60 (pledged $5 per month), Chris Sukuna $12 plus an additional $30 (pledged
$1 per month), Joe Sambou $60 (pledged $5 per month).  The total collected
so far is $222.  I have suggested that trustees be nominated as the Fund
custodians/administrators or for a volunteer to come forth to host the fund.
  So far, there are no takers.  Folks, please step up to the plate if you
wish to help.  All suggestions are welcomed.

I know the L does not accept attachments and I did not have time to send it
to Kabir or some other help to reformat at the time.  Please don't hesitate
to quiz me on other questions you may have.  So folks, let us help ourselves
by contributing to this fund.  The private media is also victims of Jammeh
and the APRC/NIA.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

>From: Momodou Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Media Fund/Joe Sambou
>Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:08:52 +0200
>
>Joe,
>
>Could you kindly update us on the status of the Media Fund? Your
>attachment the other day never came through.
>
>Cheers,
>Sidibeh

>Web interface

From must-see cities to the best beaches, plan a getaway with the Spring