GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:18:07 -0400
Jobe, sure you can do better than that. You accuse me of personalizing the
issues and in the next sentence you call me 'a very angry and petty
extremist' without backing up your rhetoric. Who is personalizing issues
here. When I called you a coward, I had ample evidence to back up what I
said. You told us that you were scared of a future imagined enemy.

Jobe, with me, you cannot get away with double-talk and hypocrisy. Your
problem is that you are trying very hard to come across as a decent and
intelligent person that needs to be taken seriously; BUT you do not have the
guts to stand up for what you believe in. Few days ago when Ebrima was not
on the List, you were jumping up and down pretending that you silenced
Ebrima and his Sources because of your 'counter' views. Now if people read
your messages to Ebrima, people are wondering whether it is the same Jobe
that vowed to debunk the 'lies' from Ebrima's Sources. You are a phony.

I just saw another illustration of your double-talk. You condemned indemnity
for perpetrators of the April massacre but hasten to point out how Yaya is
not responsible for the cold-blooded massacre of our children. To the
amateur it will appear that Jobe supports the Rule of Law and condemns the
impunity that will be ensured by the Indemnity Clause. Why you do not like
me, is because I see through your hypocrisy and will state it in no
uncertain terms. According to you: no immunity so long as Yaya is not held
responsible. That is very different from: no immunity. Period. In my book,
you will be a decent person and in the league of people like Saul Khan had
you just said that you denounce the Indemnity legislation and not try to
absolve Yaya. It is this type of hypocrisy and double-talk that I will not
stand from you. Call me angry or petty if you want, but I vow to unmask your
hypocrisy.

Look who is talking about clouding a debate. Who veered off to talk about
Nigeria and the 1981 coup and the stadium stampede in order to justify
Yaya's despicable actions vis-a-vis the massacre of our children in 2000?
Why, may I ask, did the same 'callous soldiers' you talked about in your
theory not open fire on our children on April 10 and 11, 2001? If they are
'inherently evil' and do not need Yaya's orders to massacre our children,
why did these people spare the Gambian children before 1994 and in 2001?
They are still soldiers because Yaya has not punished them by taking away
their guns. I submit to you that had these people not been Ordered by Yaya,
not a single life would have been lost on April 10 and 11, 2000. What you
failed to include in your comparative analysis was that there were student
demonstrations during the Jawara regime and our children were not massacred
by these 'inherently evil soldiers'. These animals acted on Yaya's
diabolical Orders. Yaya is as culpable as the trigger happy animals that
pulled the trigger on our children. If Yaya and his cohorts want, they can
pass all sorts of Indemnity legislation. They can send all sorts of cronies
to G_L and elsewhere to try and absolve Yaya of liability. At the end of the
day, when everything is said and done, Yaya will pay for his crimes.

Jobe, as I told you before, everyone has to be accountable, including
yourself. If you want to convince us that Gambia deserves Yaya as a leader,
you need to come up with solid points. Whining about my extremism and choice
of words will not cut it. It is bizarre that some one like you will admit to
all the things you admitted to about the ills in our society (called the
situation ungodly) and still turn around and attempt to perpetuate Yaya. It
is just incomprehensible how you spend your time trying to perpetuate Yaya
and you still cannot articulate why you think a child murderer and a thieve
deserves to lead us or deserves your support. How can you concede to
everything Ebrima said, and still be loyal to Yaya? How can you concede that
Yaya is 'remotely' responsible for the massacre of our children and still
argue that he deserves the highest honor in the land: the privilege to lead
us and live at taxpayers' expense? If you reconcile this conundrum for me, I
promise to get off your back. I have tried several times to elicit an answer
from you to no avail. But I will not give up on you. I will try and ensure
that you become a 'straight-talker'; at least when you are participating in
debates on G_L. I pray that you overcome your scary thoughts and stop
imagining future enemies and muster enough courage like our children that
stood up to Yaya on April 10 and 11, 2000. I will endeavor to be less angry.
KB