GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 14:44:43 -0700
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:06:09 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [AfricaMatters] Best Books on Africa nominations for Zimbabwe
    International Book Fair

---------------------- Forwarded by MOJUBAOLU O. OKOME/FACULTY/FIRE on
04/04/2000 02:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Zimbabwe International Book Fair <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Best Books
Bcc:

For more information, please contact Spike Gaura, Information and Programme
Officer

AFRICAN IMPACT
A Celebration of Africa's 100 Best Books

The Zimbabwe International Book Fair invites you to be part of an historic
celebration of African writing, publishing and research.  Celebrations will
reach their climax with the announcement of Africa's 100 best books at
ZIBF2000.  We would like you to nominate the books which you consider to
have had the most powerful influence on you or your society.

NOMINATION CRITERIA
     ->   nominated titles must have been published in the twentieth
century whether                    they are still in print or
not.
     ->   titles must have been written by an African defined for the
purpose of this project as                         "someone
who was either born in Africa or who became a citizen of an African
country."

Books can be nominated in the following four categories:
*    Fiction (including poetry and drama) in English, French,
Portuguese, Arabic and Afrikaans
*    Fiction (including poetry and drama) in an African language
(including poetry and drama)
*    Non-fiction in English, French, Portuguese, Arabic and Afrikaans
*    Non-fiction in an African language
Each title must be accompanied by a rationale of a minimum of 50 words
which may be written in French, English and Portuguese.

The ZIBF appreciates that any finite list of 100 titles will only be as
good as the books nominated. For this reason we are inviting writers,
academics, researchers, teachers, professionals in the book trade and
interested individuals to participate in this exercise.

Every nomination counts
We hope that each African country, relevant institutions and associations
will form their own discussion groups to put forward joint nominations. We
anticipate that this exercise will give rise to debate and discussion about
books and writing, history, literature, science, etc. From the end of
March, we will publicise the nominations that we have received to date on
our website (www.zibf.org) and in the media throughout Africa. We encourage
everyone who will participate to follow the development of the list and
engage in this important discussion.

*    Your contribution will help to deepen and broaden the initial list
of Africa's best books.
*    The discussion that is generated, and the focus on significant
titles will bring books by  Africa's best

     authors to the attention of a much wider public.
*    We hope that the list will act as a stimulus so that more books
will be read, bought, printed and
     reprinted.
*    The final list, which we intend to update every year to coincide
the book fair, will be a celebration of
     African writing and scholarship.
*    We need your contributions.  Help us to make the list as truly fine
and representative as possible.
*    PLEASE pass the information, and the nomination, on to everyone you
know whom you consider would
     want to participate in this exciting discussion.

ORGANISED IN COLLABORATION WITH APNET, PABA, AFRICA WRITERS ASSOCIATIONS,
BOOK DEVELOPMENT COUNCILS, LIBRARY ASSOCIATIONS AND ACADEMICS.

AFRICAN IMPACT
AFRICA'S BEST BOOKS
Nomination Form
Name:___________________________________________________
Address: ________________________________________________
E-mail: _________________________ Fax: ____________________
Profession________________________________________________
Institute to which you are affiliated_________________________
Nationality:______________________________________________
NOMINATION
Name of Book:____________________________________________________
First Name of Author:_____________________________________
Surname of Author: ______________________________________
Name of Publisher:_______________________________________
Year Published: __________________________________________
Nationality of Author (if known): ___________________________
Category:__________________Language:___________________
Rational for submission:___________________________________
____________________________________________________________________(please
feel free to attach additional paper if space is not adequate.)
Each nomination must be made on a separate form.

Please send nominations to: Africa's Best 100 Books, Zimbabwe International
Book Fair, P. O. Box CY1179, Causeway, Harare, ZIMBABWE. Fax: 263 4 702129
or E-mail: [log in to unmask] zw
The first list will be on the web page (www.zibf.org) at the end of March.
Make sure your choice is on it. Closing date: 30 June 2000

HOW TO MAKE YOUR NOMINATION
*    You can nominate by e-mail, fax or letter.
*    Nominations can represent the views of an individual or of a group.
*    All participants of the group must be listed either as individuals
or as participating organisations.
*    Nominations will not be accepted unless they are accompanied by a
(minimum) 50-word rationale.
*    The first nominations will be put up on the website at the end of
March and publicised through the media.

ZIBF's country representatives are; Margaret Ling/David Brine (UK, Europe,
North America and the The Caribbean), Monica Seeber (South Africa), Thomas
Kamugisha (East Africa), Woeli Dekutsey (West Africa) and Vikas Ghai
(India).

Contact details:
Margaret Ling                 Monica Seeber
ZIBF (UK)                     P. O. Box 31134
P. O. Box 21303                    Braamfontein 2017, R.S.A.
London, WC2E 8PH,UK                Tel: 27 11 622 6937
Tel/Fax: 44 171 836 8501           Fax: 27 11 622 6800
E-mail:                       E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Thomas Kamugisha                   Woeli Dekutsey
P. O. Box 22638                    Woeli Publishing Services
Dar es Salaam                 P. O. Box K601
Tanzania                      Accra New Town
Tel: 255 51 1148 76                Ghana
Fax: 255 51 112434                 E-mail: [log in to unmask]
               E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Vikas Ghai, Sterling House, L-10 Green Park Extension, New Delhi - 110 016,
India, Tel: 91 11 619 1784, Fax: 91 11 619 0028, E-mail:

 Zimbabwe International Book Fair
 Harare Gardens
 P.O. Box CY1179
 Causeway
 Zimbabwe
 Tel: 263 4 702104, 702108, 707352, 705729, 704112
 Fax: 263 4 702129
 Email: [log in to unmask]
 Website: http://zibf.org

ZIBF2000  Theme: Celebrating African Books
Indaba Dates: 29-30 July 2000     Theme: Millenium Market Place: Marketing
African Books in the 21st Century
Country of Focus: Ghana
Women Writers Workshop: 27-28 July 2000    Theme: Celebrating Women Writers
Writers Workshop  Dates: 31 July - 4  August  Theme: Celebrating African
Writers
Book Fair Dates:  1-5 August 2000   Setting up day - 31 July 2000

@Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the net.
Try @Backup FREE and recieve 300 points from mypoints.com Install now:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2345/7/_/192352/_/954875254/

To the extent possible, please keep postings concise. Our archives are at : http://www.egroups.com/group/us-afr-network .  To Post a message, send it to [log in to unmask] .  Tell others to subscribe by sending a blank message to [log in to unmask] .  To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: [log in to unmask]