GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Baba Galleh Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 04:38:10 +0000
Dear Friends,

On this occasion of World Press Freedom Day, I am pleased to announce that
my new small book, "Mandela's Other Children: The Diary of an African
Journalist" is out. Attached is the cover template for the book. Signed
copies can be purchased from the FreeGambia website at the following
address:

http://www.freegambia.net/shop.html

The book may also be purchased directly from the publisher at:

http://www.wastelandpress.net/Mandela.html

I join all journalists in remembering our dear brother, father, uncle,
mentor, and doyen, Deyda Hydara who was brutally murdered by gunmen on
December 16, 2004.

Below are three of the book's forty-two chapters.

Baba

Chapter Nine

It’s been about three months since our absurd arrest over the Norwegian
paint ad. I spent the past three days locked up incommunicado at NIA
headquarters. Last Sunday morning, I arrived at our offices around 9:00am to
oversee work on the Monday paper. As I walked through the gate, I noticed
two cars packed outside and some men standing around. I recognized them
immediately as NIA agents. The little guy wearing a black felt hat and dark
glasses was Baba Saho, the guy who interrogated me and asked me to write a
statement over the paint ad. I waved at them and proceeded upstairs to my
office. Shortly after I closed the door behind me, I heard a knock and asked
them to come in. Five men filed into the office. I exchanged greetings with
them and asked them to sit down on the three available chairs. Three sat
down and two leaned against the wall by the door, their hands folded on
their chests, wearing the customary iron looks on their faces.

‘Well Mr. Jallow, we have a warrant for your arrest,’ Baba Saho said,
looking across the desk at me behind his dark glasses.

‘Oh yeah?’ I said. ‘That’s interesting. And for what crime am I being
arrested?’

Saho motioned to one of his men who stepped forward and handed me a yellow
sheet of paper. As I read, I felt my eyes widening with disbelief. The
warrant said I was suspected of trafficking in arms, ammunition, and drugs,
and being in possession of dangerous documents. I could not help laughing
out.

‘This is ridiculous,’ I said. ‘Suspected of trafficking in arms, ammunition,
and drugs?’

‘Have you read the warrant, Mr. Jallow?’ Saho asked.

‘Yes I have,’ I said.

‘Please sign it,’ he added.

I signed the document and handed it back to him.

‘Can we search your office?’

‘Oh sure,’ I said, rising up from my desk and standing aside. Three of the
men started rummaging the piles of paper on my desk, pulling out my drawers
and shifting through their contents. After a while, they were through. Of
course they did not find any arms, ammunition, or drugs.

‘Can you take us to your house, Mr. Jallow?’ Saho said.

‘No problem,’ I retorted. ‘Let me just tell my colleagues what’s going on.’

As I walked out of my office towards the newsroom, one of the men followed
me, as if I was going to run away. I told everybody what had happened and
asked them to make sure that the paper comes out on Monday. Then I locked my
office and walked downstairs with the men. I was escorted into one of the
cars, which started driving towards the city.

‘My house is in the other direction,’ I reminded Saho, who sat in the front
seat with the driver.

‘It’s no longer necessary,’ he said. ‘We just received orders to take you
straight to headquarters.’

I sat back in the backseat, sandwiched between two stone-faced agents. I had
no idea why I was arrested. I knew the contents of the arrest warrant were
simply ridiculous and not deserving of the slightest concern. And I could
not think of any story or editorial or advertisement over the past week or
so that could have led to my arrest. But then in our country, the NIA do not
need any good reason to arrest somebody and lock them up for as long as they
are asked to. Orders from above are a good enough reason to presume anyone
guilty until proven innocent. I resolved to adopt a policy of wait and see.
We drove in silence into the gloomy NIA headquarters.

Chapter Thirteen

Our worst fears are becoming a reality. Jammeh is not stepping down. He is
going to stay on in power till God knows when. Over the past week, busloads
of peasants from districts across the country have been going to State House
to ‘beg’ Captain Jammeh to contest the forthcoming elections. Of course, it
is all stage-managed. The so-called opinion leaders – illiterate village
elders, religious leaders, and women - are literally rounded up by the
regime's hordes of sycophants, given some money as ‘cola nut price,’ and
brought to Banjul to beg the great leader to stay in power for the sake of
God and of the country. The little money they receive, the prospect of a
free bus ride to the capital city, a delicious meal at State House, and a
rare opportunity to shake the hand of the head of state is more than enough
bait to get these simple-minded folks to play along with an insidious plot
by the military to hang on to power.

In front of TV cameras, the so-called opinion leaders, one after the other,
stand up and praise the sterling qualities of the great leader and beg him
to contest the elections. He and his great soldiers have sacrificed their
lives to free The Gambia from the clutches of ex-president Dawda Jawara and
his gang of corrupt politicians. They must not abandon their
responsibilities. Some of them likened Jammeh to the Prophet Moses, sent by
God to deliver his people from the evil pharaoh and lead them on to the
Promised Land. Every day, another group of so-called opinion leaders from a
different corner of the country is driven to State House to utter their
ignorant nonsense. The nonsense is then relayed over national radio and
television: The people love and trust Jammeh so much that they are all
begging him to stay in power. The lie gets bigger by the day. It is repeated
so often that it begins to sound like truth. Rumors are circulated by his
cronies that the great leader himself really does not want to stay in power.
But the people are begging him to do so. Since the voice of the people is
the voice of God, he really has no choice. They add their voices to the
universal cry for Jammeh to stay. It is clear that the plot to hold the
Gambian people hostage is going to succeed. This is exactly what is going to
happen: The busloads of ‘opinion leaders’ will continue to come to Banjul to
beg Jammeh to stay in power. After ‘opinion leaders’ from across the country
have been herded like cattle to Banjul to beg the great savior to stay in
power, Jammeh will then declare that well, he has no choice but to abide by
the will of the Gambian people; for the will of the people is the will of
God. That he feels truly humbled by the great trust reposed in him by the
Gambian people. That in accordance with the wishes of the people, he is
going to retire from the army and become a true servant of the people. This
is a well-beaten path for Africa's military depots.

Mr. Jammeh and his colleagues in the military think that they are being
clever by engineering this fake show of universal support. But they are not
being clever. They are being selfish and greedy. They are being disloyal to
the nation. They are sealing their betrayal of the trust of the enlightened
forces in this country. They are exploiting the political ignorance and
simple-mindedness of the people to legitimize their hijacking of our
country. And they are being seen in all their ugly nakedness. The emperor
has absolutely no clothes! These outrages shall not go unpublished, now or
in the future. They shall not go unexposed to the big wide world. And Jammeh
and his cohorts shall one day be dragged before the uncompromising court of
history. And they shall be judged and sentenced according to their crimes.
‘Mr. Jammeh, you stand accused of forging a counterfeit sovereignty, of
using the law to break the law, of embezzling millions of dollars of public
resources . . .’

Chapter Thirty-One

December 24, 2004. Deyda Hydara, 58, Editor and co-founder of The Point
newspaper has been brutally murdered. Deyda was gunned down last night,
around 11:00pm, as he drove home from his office. It was the thirteenth
anniversary of The Point and Deyda and his colleagues had spent the day
celebrating. But for Deyda, the meal he had that day was his last. Among the
guests at his office, chatting and talking, showing teeth hiding streams of
hot blood, or just waiting nearby outside his office, were some men who knew
that Deyda would not see the light of the day tomorrow. As he drove home, an
unmarked taxi cab overtook him, drove adjacent him, and a man in the front
passenger seat pumped two bullets into an unwary Deyda’s head and one into
his chest. He lost control of the car, which swerved into a ditch. He died
on the spot. His passengers, two young ladies, members of his staff he had
offered a ride home, suffered gunshot wounds to the legs. The killers sped
past the spot where Deyda slumped over his steering wheel, his skull
shattered, his chest punctured, drenched in his own innocent blood. Deyda,
who could not hurt a fly. Deyda, who stammered and smoked and was ever so
cheerful even when engaged in heated debate over matters of principle. Deyda
was also the Gambia correspondent for Reporters Without Borders and the
French news agency AFP.

Who killed Deyda Hydara? Who wanted Deyda death? What could be the motive
for such cold-blooded murder of a 58-year old journalist who had spent all
his life trying to make ends meet and who ran a small bi-weekly tabloid just
mildly critical of the state? Clearly, as long as this regime remains in
power, we will never get an answer to these questions. Investigations will
be touted in the media for a while and then all would be silence. Deyda’s
last shroud would be like the shroud of silence that still covers the
gruesome murder and incineration of Finance minister Ousman Koro Ceesay.
Deyda’s last shroud would be like the shroud of silence that surrounds the
murder by security forces of twelve students and one radio journalist on
April 10/11 2000. Deyda’s shroud will be like the shroud surrounding the
killing by security forces of Lt. Almamo Manneh, of an unknown number of
alleged coup plotters on the bloody night of November 11, 1994. I am certain
that Deyda’s murderer will never be brought to book as long as the current
regime is in power.

Deyda was an uncompromising champion of press freedom and respect for human
rights. Over the past year, he had been at the forefront of the Gambia Press
Union’s fight against the promulgation of the media commission that had more
powers than the Supreme Court of the land. That law was repealed only to be
replaced by an even more draconian piece of non-legislation that gave the
state power to jail journalists for a minimum of six months without the
option of a fine for publishing ‘untruths’. This new bill also increases the
fee for the registration of a newspaper from a whopping hundred thousand
dalasi (about $5,000) to an unbelievable five hundred thousand dalasi.
Again, Deyda was at the forefront of the press union’s fight against this
draconian bill. Clearly, the state had gotten tired of seeing Deyda oppose
any piece of unjust legislation in this country. And if that indeed is the
case, as many of us believe it is, then Deyda’s murderer will never be
brought to justice as long as the current regime is in power, which could be
for God knows how long.

Deyda’s murder is a very good indicator of where we are as a nation. It is a
good indicator that yes, we were not mistaken in our accusations of the
authorities that there is absolutely no security for the powerless in
today’s Gambia. How could anyone claim the existence of security in a
country in which journalists could be murdered with impunity, media houses
set on fire with impunity, and police and soldier-brutality perpetrated
against innocent civilians with impunity? Deyda's murder is a good indicator
that in today’s Gambia, the murder of government critics can be committed
with blatant impunity and no one would ever be arrested for it. Why? Because
the police are afraid to ask too many questions. Because the NIA can look
only so far. Because the police, the NIA and everyone else find themselves
emasculated and reduced to pretending that what they see is really not what
they see, and what they know is really not what they know. They all know, or
at least suspect very strongly that they know, who killed Deyda Hydara. But
they are blind and dumb to the truth because the truth is too ugly to
contemplate.

Deyda’s murder is an act of terrorism. It is a good indicator that terrorism
does not have to be male, Arab, skinny, with an eagle nose and long flowing
beard; that terrorism could also be black, African, Gambian, with a head
like a square piece of dead wood. Deyda’s murder is calculated to terrorize
not only the Gambian media, but all Gambians. It is calculated to stun and
petrify the people, to say to everyone that this is what happens to people
who engage in activities like those Deyda engaged in. It is a calculated
attempt to repeat the message that was sent out to the Gambian people on
April 10 and 11, 2000, when 12 innocent school children and one radio
journalist were murdered by security forces in broad daylight and no one was
prosecuted for the murders. The message that whoever dares make too much
unpleasant noise in The Gambia will go six feet deep, and nothing will come
out of it.

But Deyda’s murder also represents a victory for the forces of truth and
justice in The Gambia. Death, Foucault would say, is the ultimate defiance
to state power; it is the point at which naked power is rendered totally
impotent. By his death Deyda has dealt a devastating blow to the forces of
evil in our country. He has exposed the shameful cowardice of those who,
because they have the guns, feel that they can commit any crime and get away
with it. He has, by his death, grown larger than life in the global
imagination and focused the world’s attention on this small corner of the
world where, for over ten years now, a small group of tyrants have lorded it
over the people and broken every law in the book with ruthless impunity. If
Deyda’s murderers were hoping to stop him from exposing their evil deeds,
the ironic result is that by his death, Deyda has turned the full light of
international attention on his killers. They have achieved the exact
opposite of what, in their sick and jaundiced imaginations, they had set out
to achieve. Not only are the world’s curious searchlights now fully focused
on The Gambia, they will remain focused on The Gambia until the truth about
Deyda is known and the culprits brought to justice in one way or the other.
There is no doubt that one day, someone will stand in front of the world and
say with total certainty, this is Deyda’s murderer. That day will come, and
when it comes, those who feel that they can commit such despicable crimes
with impunity shall be condemned to eternal damnation.