GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kebba Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:48:06 +0100
Another tragedy another unsolved crime.Most of you on the Gambia-l
would undoutedly comfirm the fact that the more fallen victims of the Gambia
regime we have, the more complicated it becomes for those of us
to make anythig, if anything at all of the shape and the direction in which
the APRC is propelling the whole nation. The recent killing of innocent
Gambians at Umorto and the willingness of the
Gambia's army chief Mr Jatta to tell the Gambian nation that no army officer
would be brought to justice in connection to those killing,i  a
simple message from the army to the nation as a whole, that this is the way
the government would communicate with the citizens.The milatary can kill and
mem innocent people any time they want and no one will be accounted for
it.May be some of you would be suprised that
the government can let Gambias in a state of limbo when they carry out
the violation of the right of the people the swore to protect, am not at all
suprised.I have been to the Gambia two years ago, and my advice is that, the
government made life intolerable and for those of you
on the Gambia-l,who did not visit the Gambia for a while, should think
twice before going there.
Instead of dealing with the current issues, once again, Yaha and his
government has something that they know would divide the country into
different segments, the largest of which would be a religious divide.
Most Gambians are inclined to the Islamic faith,Yaya is once again
using the Imams of the country,to rally behind him in attemps to introduce
Sharia in a country where religion never plays a big part in politics.The
president even denied the fact that he made any mention
of the introduction of sharia in the country.For the UDP member of the house
of represenatives to say openly that he believes that Sharia is not the
right governing tool for the Gambia, made Yaya to change his political aims
by using the name of Sharia in the country.With Sharia on the table,there is
no way for the opposition to win the confidence of the people.
I wonder if those Imams really give much thought to this law that they so
much favoured. Reading the observer paper, I came across a proposed meeting
to be held between Yaya and the Imams in Tendaba.Like most Gambias, I
consider myself as a muslim perharps even a better muslim  than some of
those imams who are backing this Shaia law in the Gambi.
I guess, I need to clarify something here;I learned my lessons in detail.If
the Imams would back the introduction of Sharia in the Gambia, would they
also back the idea that Yaya should be the first person to face the law?Or
like the Saudi hypocritical sharia, he should be above the law which came
from the almaighty?
It is sad to see that the Gambia and her Imams don't seem to have enough of
Yayas tyranny woe betide them should they (imams) out of fear or readiness
to compromise their teachings of the holly koran to
the dictator of the country.
Please for those of you who might know some of these imams, please
call them or write to them and tell them not to betray the trust of the
people or the teachings of their prophet and the koran for vanity.
Sometimes I feel bad to realise that Islam from the onset, has been
misinterpreted by these so called learned men.Religion is a personal matter
and I do not see any reason why it should be used by anybody
as his political tool to oppress innocet people.Gambias future, like a
lost ship in the sea. Should the APRC let themselves to rule in disguise or
Should the Imams be ready to sacrifice innocent Gambia lives like in
Algeria?What ever way the Gambians choose to go in the next elections, our
future hang on the balance should Yaya be allowed to introduce a law that he
had no knowledge about.
The holly koran says "lakum diinukum walia diini" to the non-muslims.
You have your religion and I have mine.The future of the Gambia,faith
based or politically based? All those imams who are going to mecca in
Saudi arabia for the Hajj should know one thing for sure, the almaighty God
would not accept any unjust religious practices.The money that they are
going to use is the same money they were robbed off.

Kebba sanneh