GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:53:21 +0000
Momodou, you are right this whole process started back in April and input
was sought from both the Post and L and was gotten from folks when it was
requested.  Now, 4 months later we are still talking about input when input
was sought and given a long time ago.  Besides, are you not a member of the
Post too?  I am a member of any listserve that involves Gambia because I
want to be informed.  I suggest that we all do that for it aids better
communication.  I try to forward stuff to the L from the Post and vice versa
but that is not sustainable.  I can do it some times but not all the time.
Thus, folks need to empower themselves.

The fund does not have a constitution, but a Preamble to guide its
operation.  The fund is also not an organization for us to talk in terms of
a constitution.  It is currently in the process of being registered but with
a lot of huddles to hoop, which there is tons of material about that
discussion laying around Gambia Post.  However, many of those that called
for it's registration saw the wisdom proffered not to do so.  Yet, the
registration process will continue even though the most vocal for its
registration dropped the issue.  I don't know what comes to folk's mind when
they talk about the policy framework draft, but it is simply a suggestion by
the opposition to help the opposition work their differences in coming
together.  In the final analysis, they are the ones who would have to
compromise with each other for them to come together.  We are also advised
to form committees in other to get more organized.  However, all these are
tied to the fund/funding.  We can get philosophical about it but in the end,
we need these funds to get our job done, without which we might as well drop
this whole effort and go fishing, for we already lost the battle to the
Dictator.  Now, we can dialogue till doomsday, but in the end, we want to
get our message accross to the grassrots from Banjul to Basse.  This does
not need the Robert Rules of Order to do but the Coalition with their
message and our money to spread that message.  That's all in a nut shell.
Now, days, weeks, and months have passed by, and soon years will pass by and
we enter 2006.  The question is, are we going to be ready at the rate we are
going with our vision to fund and assist the Alternative?  I know you made
your position clear about the fund, but I also hope that you relegate you
principles like all else for the common good and reconsider joining us in
this great effort.  And in light of the need to inform the L members I will
continue to forward stuff to the best of my ability, but I also encourage
folks to empower themselves and stay connected to other discourses.  Please
advise me if I missed any important points in your response.

Chi Jaama

Joe Sambou

>From: Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Opposition Coalition
>Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:41:04 +0200
>
>Brother Joe Sambou,
>
>I cannot but sincerely commend you for your work and dedication to the
>coalition-building effort. Whatever shortcomings that may have emerged from
>your side must be weighed against your overall efforts towards a cause you
>believe in.
>In your engagement with Sister Jabou Joh, there seems to me to be important
>matters you are missing.
>
>On April 18th, Abdoulaye Saine posted to Gambia-L the Guidelines for Save
>the Gambia Fund/Association. The second paragraph in that GUIDELINES reads
>thus:
>
>"...In light of the growing interest over the FUND/ASSOCIATION, I have
>drafted some guidelines, a working document in progress, to provide both
>structure and direction for the FUND/ ORGANIZATION. Your input is important
>and needed to ensure that the organization is open and accountable to its
>membership. As Joe Sambou pointed out in an earlier email, every cent will
>be accounted for. Once your input is made, I, with the help of others will
>craft a more comprehensive document".
>
>The very last line of the guidelines reads: "
>What do you think? Your input is needed to make it a better and more
>comprehensive document! "
>
>The quotation marks are my emphasis.
>
>A number of clear deductions can be made from Dr. Saines posting.
>
>1. That the guidelines are indeed only guidelines, neither a finished
>document nor a Constitution. It could be understood as a draft
>constitution.
>
>2.That because it was not a finished document, inputs are welcome and
>deemed as important.
>
>3. That once inputs are made, a more comprehensive document will be
>crafted.
>
>Well, as far as I know no finished document, supposedly  the Constitution
>of the Save the Gambia Fund has been posted to Gambia-L since April 18th.
>There has not been any information as to what happened to inputs posted
>form subscribers to Gambia-L. There has not been any indication as to
>whether or not inputs from interested individuals were considered at all in
>making the guidelines " a better and more comprehensive document". There
>has not been any indication as to whether such inputs needed to be
>submitted for consideration within a specified time limit.
>
>Does the Save the Gambia Fund have a Constitution that was produced from
>the draft/guidelines?. Was this information submitted to readers on
>Gambia-L? Since people were requested of their opinion in the guidelines,
>was it not just natural and indeed a welcome development that they indeed
>responded to that request, suggesting, asking questions, talking all these
>months? Or was it that one was not supposed to talk unless one paid a
>pledge? Was that indicated in the guidelines?

> [...]

<b>MSN 8:</b>  Get 6 months for $9.95/month
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup