GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2007 14:38:33 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 104/2007, 5 – 6 September  2007

Editorial
Politics, Journalism and Objectivity
The Point  Newspaper reported that Gambians abroad were making efforts to
reunite NADD. The  paper published the pictures of political leaders without
showing any  representation for NADD and posted the picture of Halifa Sallah
instead of Sidia  Jatta who is the only one who has ever stood as presidential
candidate for  PDOIS.
Foroyaa is aware that a number of political leaders were questioned  about
the authenticity of the story and they expressed innocence.
The Point  followed their publication with comments made by Lamin Jawara that
will not be  part of the reunification process.
Foroyaa received a memorandum from the  organisers which is purportedly sent
to all newspapers refuting The Point  story.
Out of professional principles, Foroyaa alerted The Point of the  contention
of the Gambians abroad. Mr. Gibba was shown the letter which is  published in
full in this issue side by side with Mr. Juwara’s clarification.  This matter
is not between Foroyaa and Juwara or Foroyaa and The Point. It is  about
publishing the truth in good faith in the public interest. Is the story  published
by The Point the truth? The Gambian organizers say it is not. The  Point, like
Foroyaa should not put their source against Foroyaa, they should  contact the
Gambian organizers to find out the truth. This is what is objective.  No
newspaper has a right to mislead the public.
Objectivity means publishing  the truth in good faith in the public interest.
If  Mr. Juwara or The Point  gives us a contact address we will contact Juwara
’s source and publish the  truth. Foroyaa is fearless in publishing the
truth. As it stands, we can give  the contacts we have to Mr. Juwara and The Point
to clarify the issue but they  are unable to give us names of Gambians abroad
and their contact address to  double check on the memorandum sent to Foroyaa
among other newspapers by the  organizers.
“Focus on Politics” is not authored by the editors. It is  authored by Mr.
Suwaibou Touray. He is entirely responsible for the content and  it does not
reflect Foroyaa’s editorial position.
Attacking Foroyaa for  publishing Suwaibou Touray’s opinion would be like
attacking Foroyaa for  publishing the views of the Central Bank.
We wish to remind all Gambians that  the pioneer of modern Gambian
journalism, trade unionism, farmers’ cooperativism  is Edward Francis Small. A person
should speak the truth no matter what one’s  political opinion is.

Waa Vs Ugama Organisers
Foroyaa Waits For Clarification
By Fabakary  B. Ceesay
Mr. Lamin Waa Juwara, the leader of NDAM has said the story  published on the
Point Newspaper on the 29 August by one Abba A.S Gibba is  concrete and that
he (Juwara) gave Mr. Gibba the information. Mr. Juwara made  this
clarification in an exclusive interview with this reporter at his residence  in Brikama.
According to Mr. Juwara, he was informed by one Mr. Dibba that  Gambians in
the Diaspora intend to revitalise the NADD political party. Mr.  Juwara said
one Mr. Dibba had informed him that he (Dibba) was assigned to  coordinate the
Gambians at home. Mr. Juwara indicated that he knew Mr. Dibba  personally who
he said was politically active at one time in the country. He  added that he
believed Mr. Dibba will not take it upon himself to inform him  about the
developments if it is not true. He said he could not establish the  position or rank
of Mr. Dibba in that organisation, but that Mr. Dibba  introduced himself to
him as the one coordinating the affair. Asked which Mr.  Dibba he is talking
about Mr. Juwara said he would not say his first name. Waa  said his answer to
Mr. Dibba was non-commital because his party branch in  America was never
informed about the plan which is about to take place. Mr.  Juwara insisted that
his information was correct and that Mr. Abba A.S Gibba did  not write any lies
or misinformation. He added that he was the very one who gave  that
information to Mr. Gibba.

UGAMA: Purpose and  Status/Progress
What is UGAMA?
This is not a committee. It is not a  representative of any group and/or
voice of any sectional interest. Rather is an  acronym for “United Gambia” and
its only self assigned term of reference is to  bring Gambians in the Diaspora
together under one roof to discuss matters of  common interest and of national
bearing. Membership into the organizing  consortium is voluntary and open to
all Gambians at all times. Membership is not  formal and it has never been. Our
only reason for being at it is that someone  must start but everything else
is open until we succeed in getting Gambians  under a roof.
There is an e-mail and phone number contacts provided online  for those who
want to contribute ideas and/or participate to get in touch. An  impressive
number did send ideas and other advice on how they think it can work.  Thank you
for this valuable contribution for the people of The Gambia. Those who  want
to fully participate we hereby say you do not need permission nor do we  have a
set agenda besides Gambia. Please hurry-up and we are waiting.
Why  UGAMA?
The UGAMA initiative is born out of assumption that there are problems  back
home that would require a collective effort of all Gambians to solve. These
assumptions stem  from
i.          the ongoing  debate on various national issues especially in the
online  newspapers
ii.          the  political squabble between political parties and government
and amongst  themselves
iii.         the human  right abuses
iv.         the  participatory democracy argued by the  constitution
v.          it is a  constitutionally guaranteed civic right to participate
in political and  governance in a manner of our choice and in accordance with
law.
The above is  only the motivation for the call to a meeting. The meeting
(conference) will  serve as a forum for sharing to agree on issues of importance
to Gambia and as  well establish our role in addressing such issues. This
effort can only stop at  an announcement of concern, it can produce a civil society
organization/movement  to work with others on the identified issues, it may
not agree on to anything  and/or any other way fit best by that gathering of
Gambians.
In contrast to  the news caption “Gambians in United States to Reunite NADD”
by one Abba AS  Gibba, on The Point Newspaper, August 29, 2007, UGAMA
represent no sectional  interest instead a call to debate the common issues with a
view to arrive at a  common answer. This appeared to be an erroneous
representation and/or deliberate  misrepresentation of facts sends to that media house
and all other media houses  in The Gambia by UGAMA Organizing Consortium. Once
again UGAMA has no agenda  other than trying to get Gambians under one roof
somewhere in the near future.  Whatever, the outcome of that meeting should it
ever happen will be the agenda  of the people of The Gambia and/or at least
those present and/or send in their  ideas.
Where are we and how do we get there?
The mission of the organizing  consortium is to get people together under one
roof. Period!!! In the United  States of America (USA), where most of the
participants are expected to be drawn  from is very disperse in distance. Time
and financial implications are other  factors considered for how to organize
this gathering. We do not have our own  funds nor did we receive any funding
support for this purpose and/or related  matters.
With the above considerations in mind, UGAMA worked with the Midwest  Gambian
Association in Chicago, IL. on the possibility of hosting this  initiative
within that association’s Labor Day conference scheduled for  September 1-2,
2007. The Midwest Gambian Association generously agreed to this  request and
accord sometime in their program. The reasons to go to Chicago this  time are the
venue will be free under that arrangement, it is somewhat central  for most
people wanting to attend and there will already a group of  Gambians.
We estimated that for a fruitful discussion on the numerous issues  that are
out there we would need at least between 4-5 hours of time in a  hall/room.
Upon the release of the Midwest Gambian Association program flyer and
subsequent discussions we were accorded not more than 2 hours (precisely 1:45
minutes). At UGAMA and tele-conferences held with people expecting to attend  there
was a unanimous agreement that the time would not be enough for our  purpose.
This decision hold no reservation on the Midwest Gambian Association,  instead
we recognized that they have to give it all to their own itinerary after  all
that is their purpose of organizing that program. We also recognized the  help
extended as the single bigger input a Gambian/group has offered so far.  Thank
you compatriots at Chicago!!! Nor did we see the efforts as a failure  either
on our part and/or Gambians in general for whatever reason. The resource
requirement for this type of arrangement is huge and complex and the logistics
to amass such resources is not and will not be easy. We continue to work on it
and every Gambian has an input waiting for you.
UGAMA will be at Chicago on  September 01, 2007. Based on the amount of time
we have we will not be able to  conduct the conference as per scheduled
tentative itinerary published a couple  of weeks ago. However we will grace the
conference of our host and present to  the gathering what UGAMA mission initiative
is/are and as well past survey  questionnaire that will help us in the
planning to get a meeting at point in the  near future. Therefore, if we may correct
and/or rectify, UGAMA is not cancelled  but a change in plans due to
logistics.
Where do we go from here?
As  stated above, our only mission is to get Gambians under a roof to discuss
 Gambia. We will continue on this effort and are asking all that this is no
personal and/or neither group agenda nor we want recognition of any sort
except  the pride to contribute our part in the development of our home. This is a
civic  duty. Please join and do whatever you can.
After the Chicago meeting we will  reconvene to discuss
i.           the possible sites for UGAMA  Conference
ii.          the cost  implications
iii.         fund  raising
iv.         expected  participation especially from  Gambia
v.          reasonable  time frame to work with
vi.          etc
We will not set the agenda and nor do will we dictate one. We shall  accept
all inputs from everyone, Gambians and non-Gambians alike which  compilations
may or may not be publish for public consumption in preparation of  the
conference proper. For now all contributions can be directed at  [log in to unmask]
We would like to warn that this is no easy task and succeed  is hardly
guaranteed in such social mobilization, therefore bear with us and  help.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre  minds
– Albert Einstein
Let us not fall victim of the above. It is over 40  years we are yet to
realize the dreams at the birth of the nation. The problem  and it causes is
history while me and you are the answer and hopes of the  future.
Sincerely,

UGAMA

A Press Release from UGAMA  Organizing Consortium
We regret to announce that the planned United Gambia  Association Conference
scheduled for Chicago, September 01, 2007 along side The  Midwest Gambian
Association’s Labor Day Conference will not precede according to  the original
scheduled program itinerary due to logistical constraints. We  highly regret the
inconveniences especially of those who have already arranged  traveling and
accommodations.
However a representative(s) of the organizing  consortium will be out there
to share
* Mission of the new  initiative
* Distribute survey questionnaires – feedbacks will help  our planning
processes
* Grace the Conference of our host  – Midwest Gambian Association
For transparency and accountability we  would like to inform the general
public that the above decision has nothing to  do with finances nor do we receive
any internal/external financial support for  these purposes and/or any other
related matter(s).
While this time is not  possible we still hold the view that The Gambia’s
problems can only be  identified and solved by Gambians and their friends with or
without external  support. Therefore we will continue to work to identify a
suitable venue and  time for a future date for a gathering on all matters
relating to such concerns.  We will keep the general public posted through the
various Gambian online media.
Once again we seriously regret the changes in plan. We look forward to
seeing you all there.

Sincerely,

The Organizing  Consortium

UGAMA

New Law Sets Up  Competition Commission
By Bubacarr K. Sowe & Isatou Bittaye
The  National Assembly Members have passed the Competition Bill 2007, which
envisages  the establishment of an independent commission.
Moving the Bill before the  legislators on Monday September 3, the Secretary
of State for Trade, Industry  and Employment, Abdou Kolley, said the Bill is
to promote competition in the  supply of goods and services, by prohibiting
collusive agreements and bid  rigging, by providing for investigation and control
of other types of  restrictive agreements.
Mr. Kolley said his Department of State, in 2000,  requested for assistance
from the Economic and Legal Advisory Services Division  of the Commonwealth
Secretariat to develop a competition policy and law suited  to the economic
circumstances of The Gambia.
“Available capacity within  existing Departments of State or other state
agencies such as the Central Bank  and PURA (Public Utilities Regulatory
Authority) will be used to undertake the  task of investigating cases and collecting
evidence on the commission’s behalf,”  the Secretary of State outlined.
Mr. Kolley added that the Independent  Competition Commission will be made up
of a chairperson and four other  commissioners and will have information
gathering powers and conduct any formal  hearings. “It will also have sole
responsibility for taking decisions under the  competition law and for determining
penalties and remedies,” said the  SoS.
The law will make provision for a right of appeal against the decision  of
the commission to the commercial division of the High Court.
Seconding the  bill, Sulayman Joof, Member for Serekunda West, said the bill
seeks to ensure  free market, promote efficiency and transparency in the
delivery of goods and  services. Mr. Joof said this will reduce prices and protect
consumers from  exploitation.
Majority leader and member of Serekunda East, Fabakary Tombong  Jatta said
the law will protect both consumers and investors.
The monirity  leader and member for Kiang West, Momodou Sanneh said the bill
has come at the  right time and hoped that it will be implemented. Sidia
Jatta, the  representative of Wuli West, said free market goes with free
competition and  hopes that the law will work well.
Mama Kandeh, Member for Jimara said the  law will protect consumers.

Tabara Samba’s Trial Set For  Address
By Fabakary B. Ceesay & Isatou Bittaye
The murder trial  involving Madam Tabara Samba and the State is set for
address before Magistrate  Pa Harry Jammeh of the Kanifing Magistrate Court.
On Tuesday 4 September, the  state prosecutor commissioner Burama Dibba
informed the court that he intends to  address the court on the matter by next
week. The defence counsel, Mrs. Amie  Joof Conteh, also informed the court about
her decision to address the court on  the same date. Madam Tabara Samba is
standing trial for allegedly murdering her  husband by pouring hot oil on him
while he was sleeping in his house. The  unfortunate incident happened at Old
Jeshwang sometime in March 2007. She pleads  not guilty.

Labour Bill Passed Into Law
By Bubacarr K. Sowe and  Isatou Bittaye
Legislators at the National Assembly have, on Monday;  September3 passed the
Labour Bill 2007 into law.
The bill seeks to  incorporate basic national legislation on labour matters
as recognised by the  International Labour Organisation (ILO) Conventions,
ratified by The Gambia  following it’s accession to the international body in 1995.
Abdou Kolley, the  Secretary of State for Trade, Industry and employment
introducing the bill  before the legislators, said the bill has undergone the
tripartite consultative  process and aims to update the Labour Act 1990.
“The Labour Bill 2007 will  therefore bring labour relations in The Gambia in
line with internationally  accepted standards and ensure that both workers
and employers are protected from  unfair practices,” said Mr. Kolley.
Adama Cham, the National Assembly member  for Kombo North, who seconded the
bill, said the law is long overdue, especially  when it seeks to promote social
justice and internationally recognised labour  standards and human rights.
Fabakary Tombong Jatta, member for Serrekunda  East who is also serving as
the majority leader, said the content of the bill  has covered the welfare of
workers and employers in the country.
The minority  leader and member for Kiang West, Momodou Sanneh, described the
bill as  “Important and well framed,” but expressed his worry if the
authorities  concerned will enforce the law in a correct way.
Sidia Jatta, the member for  Wuli West, said the law would help in curbing
the exploitation of children, who  are often denied the chance to go to school.
“Kids of six or seven or eight  years go around soliciting to collect garbage
in where I live, Bundung. This  children struggle to push this wheelbarrows
for a fifty dalasi  payment.”

32 Aspirant Migrants Acquitted and Discharged
By  Fabakary B. Ceesay
Thirty two Gambians who were arraigned in court after they  failed in their
attempt to travel to Spain were recently acquitted and  discharged by
Magistrate Pa Harry Jammeh of the Kanifing Magistrates Court.  Magistrate Jammeh made
this decision after the prosecutor applied to withdraw  the matter.
The police prosecutor, Sergeant 870 Amat Touray, told the court  that the
state does not intend to proceed with the case. He did not advance any  reasons
for the withdrawal. The application was granted and the thirty two  youths were
cautioned and asked to go home.
The thirty two youths were  standing trial for alleged reckless and negligent
act contrary to section 222.  They were alleged to have gathered at Bakau
beach at odd hours with intent to  travel to Spain.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
CHILD BETROTHAL
Part  3
By Amie Sillah
Uncle Che Confronts Amina
Uncle Che confronted Amina.  She has changed. She had less time for him.
Infact, she dodges Uncle Che  whenever she can. Today, he trapped and confronted
her at home. “What game are  you playing? What are you doing with that little
boy?” Amina lied and denied the  allegations. “I don’t know what you are
talking about?” “You know what I am  talking about. You cannot play hanky panky
with me. A schoolmaster was once a  schoolboy. I am nice but I can be nasty if
provoked. I’ve already spent a  fortune on you and your family. I’ll not allow
you to toy with my personality.  Be warned! A word of caution for the wise!”
Aunty Mai started to make excuses  for her daughter. “Uncle Che! Take it easy.
Amina is still a child. She has  appreciated everything you have done for
her. Exercise more patience. Our family  is noble. We still never disobey Almami’
s wish for his daughter. He had already  betrothed her to you. Nothing!
Nothing! Nothing can change that status quo. Be  rest assured!” Aunty Mai posited. “
I hope so! I hope so!” “Give me time to talk  to Amina. Is she not my
daughter?” Aunty Mai begged Uncle Che who left in a  rage. He felt betrayed and
disappointed.
Aunty Mai Confronts Amina
Aunty  Mai cried and fell into tantrums. She normally does this to win Amina
over. She  is emotionally attached to her mother since the demise of her
father. “You want  to kill me? Let me die! Let me die!” She rolled down and
displayed her emotions.  Today Amina is unmoved. She is fedup and frustrated. She
protested. “I don’t  love Uncle Che! I don’t love Uncle Che! You people
betrothed me to him as a  child. No one asked for my consent. Islam calls for
consent, the Gambian  constitution calls for consent, the AU Women Protocol calls for
consent! Did  anybody seek for my consent? Hear me! I am speaking at the top
of my voice! Hear  me! Hear me!” Amina also fell into tantrums to neutralize
her mum’s. Mamma’s  trick did not work today. She changed tactic and became
calmer. She reasoned  with Amina. “Uncle Che is our benefactor since daddy’s
death. He gave us  comfort, answered to all our needs. We lack nothing, he
sponsored you since  kindergarten and he is still sponsoring you in university.
Whatelse do you  want?” Amina became defiant. “I want to be consulted for once.
The person I have  to marry has to be my sole choice. No doubt Uncle Che is
the best but he is not  my choice for marriage. He is my uncle. Let us leave it
at that to avoid a grave  conflict. Mamma hardened. “I’ll kill myself if you
betray Uncle Che. I’ll not be  able to face our kindred on both sides of the
plane, maternal and paternal”.  “Mamma! Suit yourself! If you commit suicide
as a Muslim it is left between you  and the Almighty. And it will be a lesson
to other parents not to force their  children, be they boys or girls, into
marriage”. Mamma’s tricks cannot  work.
At A Date
The secret lovers went for a beach date. This is an  exclusive beach for
lovers. They shared notes. Muhammed told his story. “My dad  is a successful
businessman. He is married only to my mum. We are two in my  family. Myself as the
eldest with my kid sister, Rokiya who is very attached to  me. I am a victim
of arranged marriage. My dad owes an obligation to an  international business
tycoon who helps him with contracts. He arranged marriage  for me. The girl in
question, Jamila is a snob, is rude, uncultured and spiteful  of anything or
anybody she thinks is below her class. We are poles apart. She  does not
respect me. She thinks her family is richer than my family. She wants  me to adore
her and track her like an egg. We are incompatible. I want to love  and respect
my woman.  Treating my sunshine like an egg is not a problem.  My problem
with Jami is her bossiness and being a shrewd. I am a simple guy. I  hate
pretence and the rich pretend a lot. My heart beats in unison with the  wretched of
the earth. I am an activist. I hate injustice, exploitation and  oppression.
Jami is not my type of a girl. I am always bored when I am with her.  Unlike
you, there is this magic touch! Love at first sight! You are real, warm  and
loving. Amie! You are my life! My sunshine! You are my missing rib!”  Muhammed
hugged and gave her a passionate lip kiss. “I am listening! I am all  ears!
Amina! Tell me your story”.
Amina Opens Up
Amina told Muhammed her  story. “We are two of a kid! Uncle Che is my late
daddy’s distant cousin. They  came from Guinea Conakry. Financially, Uncle Che
made it while dad died working  for a system which never rewarded his work. He
died a pauper leaving a widow  with a two year old daughter. Mamma never
remarried. Uncle Che took up the  responsibility of raising me up but with a price
tag. My late dad and my mum  betrothed me to him. I never worried much at
first. I enjoyed the goodies and  attention. Who would not? But things changed
when I met you. That magic touch!  Love at first sight! We are meant for each
other! Uncle Che is good. He gave me  life but I see him as an uncle. My love for
him is platonic. I cannot marry him.  It is you I love. It is you I’ll marry
Ishallah!” Muhammed embraced and kissed  Amina. They remained like that for a
while. Their heartbeats beat in unison.  They have found each other. They were
made for each other. “Let us elope! Get  away from everybody! To where no one
knows about us! We will make them jealous!  Jealous of our love!” Muhammed
explained. They hatched a plan.
The  Plan
The secret lovers hatched a plan in collaboration with Rokiya,  Muhammed’s
kid sister. Muhammed introduced the two girls. They loved each other  at first
sight. Rokiya was excited. “You are beautiful, cool, calm and  collected! Whom!
Muhammed have eyes!” she turned to her brother and said.  “Congratulations!
You have caught a precious jewel!” “Say it again! I have eyes  for good
things!” Muhammed boasted. “You are also beautiful! You are nice and  cute! I love
your dress combinations! You are a real friend!” They pecked and  embraced
each other. Muhammed got their attention. “Enough of the appreciation.  We have
to get out of here before we are spotted”. “We are sorry! Okay!” The  girls
hopped into Muhammed’s car. Rokiya drove them to the Tourist Resort  dropped
them and drove back home and packed Muhammed’s car. That was the plan.  She was
not to disclose their whereabouts to anybody including their parents.  The
plan worked.
The Family
Muhammed’s parents are angry and worried.  Where could he be? His car was
parked at home. Dad barked at mum. “Where is your  son? What game is he playing?
His wedding to Jamila is at the corner”. Dad  roared. “I have no idea where
he is. He is not a baby. He does not tell me where  he goes. I am also not a
magician to know his whereabouts”. Mum was defensive.  “You are a useless
mother. I over petted you. I should have listened to my clan.  I should have
married a second wife. Rich men like me marry up to four wives.  Islam permits it. I
can afford it. I need more children not two silly brats from  a useless mother
”. “I am a useless woman! What about you? A responsible father!  Do you stay
at home to help in parenting in your spare time? When kids are good  you own
them, when they have problems you disown them and push them to the  mothers. I
have tried and you have failed. Sons fear their dads not their mums.  As for
other wives, you are welcome. Its your purse. You have many properties  which
can harbour other wives. You are a Muslim man. Its your prerogative. I  don’t
care so long as my villa is my villa. I have my business. If you marry,  I’ll
have more time for myself. Your demands are unreasonable and excessive,”  Haja
Rakey talked back. She bluffed her husband. She understood his games. He  was
trying to test her pulse. “If I became non charlatan then he will know his
threat has no effect on me,” She soliloqued. Alhajj left in a rage. Mamma
cornered Rokiya. “Where is Muhammed?” Rokiya played innocent. “How would I know?
I have no idea. Ring his friends,” She advised. Mamma was not convinced. “
You  are lying. Muhammed shares his secrets with you. You are very close to him.
I do  not believe you”. Rokiya played blank. She helped mamma ring Harona and
Charles.  He was not seen by his friends. “This is serious. Is everything
alright with my  son?” Mamma shed emotional tears. Rokiya pretended to be worried
and  concerned.

Shops And Canteens At Yelli -Tenda Flood
The vendors  and shopkeepers at Yalli-Tenda were in a very pathetic mood as
the downpour of  rains intensified.
The recent heavy down pour of rain made life unbearable to  both traders and
commuters at Yelli-Tenda as all the shops as well as the road  leading to the
Ferry terminal were flooded.
According to the shopkeepers,  some of their goods got wet due to the
flooding. One shopkeeper told this  reporter that they have called on the Mansakonko
Area Council to come to their  aid; that they have also approached the Gambia
Ports Authority (GPA) officials  at Yeli-Tenda to help them to build better
stalls and canteens, but to no  avail.
When this reporter contacted the officials of the Area Council, the
Chairman, Wally Sanneh, said it is their collective duty to construct the place  for
traders. The council officials said they have made several attempts to bring
the situation under control but that they are yet to get support from the GPA.
A  senior staff at the council also added that the GPA is collecting more
revenue  from Yelli-Tenda than the council and therefore the authority should do
more to  solve the problem.
When contacted the GPA officials argued that the canteens  are under the Area
Council and that it is their duty to construct the shops or  Stalls for the
traders.
However, as matters stand, the shopkeepers are in a  dilemma, they don’t know
whether the authorities will intervene to ameliorate  their predicament.

More Pros Storm Scorpions Camp
By Modou  Nyang
The Scorpions Paradise Suites Camp continue to swell as more foreign  based
stars join camp for the Algeria kill on Sunday.
Eight more players were  expected to join camp last night to beef up the
already glittering gathering at  the Paradise Suites. Lamin Conateh (Babaye), Pa
Saikou Kujabi, Modou Jange,  Ousman Sonko, Mathew Mendy, Ebrima Sohna, Abdoulie
Corr and Ousman Jallow, were  all expected to arrive yesterday night.
The SK Lierse of Belgium duo Assan  Jatta and Mustapha Jarjue (Toubabo) first
reported to camp to join the local  based players on Sunday night together
with England based Edrissa Sonko and  goalkeeper Musa Bajaha.
Denmark based Njogu Demba and Yankuba Ceesay from  Peru are expected to
arrive today.

Algeria Arrive in Town on  Friday
By Modou Nyang
The Desert Foxes of Algeria will jet into the Banjul  International Airport
on Friday with a special flight for their Sunday cracker  against the Scorpions.
The visitors will then leave Gambian soil on Sunday  after playing the
Scorpions for the last qualifying match to Ghana 2008. Algeria  is desperate to
reach the finals of the African Nations Cup in Ghana next year  to erase
disappointments for failing to make it to the last edition in Egypt,  and they need all
three points to stand any chance of making it to  Ghana.
Coach Jean-Michel Cavalli has named a 22 man squad to face the  Scorpions on
Sunday and the list includes Fulham striker Hameur Bouazza and  France-based
defender Mehdi Meniri, Germany-based midfielder Chadli Amri and  striker
Mansour Boutabout. All have been recalled back to the National team for  the do or
die encounter with the Scorpions on Sunday.

Gambia  Foreign Stars Roundup
By Modou Nyang
Gambian foreign based stars ended  another weekend of football with their
various clubs before most of them jet out  to town to help the Scorpions reach
the African Nations Cup finals in Ghana, in  a crucial match with Algeria on
Sunday.
Austria – Modou Jange and his club  SCR Altach drew 2-2 at home against LASK
Linz on Friday to move one step from  10th to 9th position in the Austrian
Bundesliga. Altach lost their last league  fixture against Austrian Vienna by a
lone goal. Jange was in action for the  whole 90 minutes.
Pa Saikou Kujabi’s SV Josko Fenster Ried pulled a rare away  victory to FC
Wacker Innsbruck on Sunday ending a two game losing streak. Ried  won 1-0
against 10th place Wacker to leap to 7th on the league table. Pa Saikou  was in Ried’
s starting lineup and was substituted in the 61st minute. The  Scorpions left
back was also booked during the game.
Belgium – Belgium based  2nd division duo Assan Jatta and Mustapha Jarjue of
SK Lierse lost 1-0 at home  to Oud-Heverlee Leuven on Saturday. Both players
were in action for their third  league game. Jatta was however substituted in
the 68th minute for  Baetens.
Another Gambian born making the news in Belgium is Ebrima Sawaneh.  The
Scorpions invitee scored twice for 2nd division side KSK Beveren as they  shared
the points with Eupen on Saturday. Sawaneh scored the opener in the first
minute before the visitors’ level in the 7th. Sawaneh struck back in the 50th  and
still Eupen fought back to force a draw in the 71st.
Cyprus – The Cypriot  1st division opened last weekend and the sole Gambian
representative in that  Island country Mustapha Kamal Ndow of Doxa Katokopias,
opened with a defeat  against Apoel FC on Sunday. Apoel won the game 3-2 at
home.
Denmark – Njogu  Demba scored twice in Esbjerg’s weekend fixture but the
Scorpions striker’s  double could not save the Danish SAS league side from losing
away at AC Horsens,  on Saturday. Esbjerg were 3-0 down in the first half
before Jesper Mikkelsen  scored fronm the penalty spot to full one back. And
Demba struck twice in  succession in the 62nd and 73rd minutes and to restore his
side back into the  game. But a late strike by Mads Rieper in the 87th minute
to sink the visitors  and deny them a magical comeback.
England – Edrissa Sonko’s league 2 side  Walsall continue to perform
dismally as they succumbed to another defeat this  time at the hands of Gillingham.
Edi was a 49th minute substitute when his side  lost 2-1.Walsall have already
played four matches but only managed a draw losing  three times.
Finland – Dawda Bah’s HJK on Monday, lost to local rivals FC  Honka by a
lone goal. This is HJK’s second defeat in less than a week after they  fell out
of the UEFA Cup to Danish side AaB. The under suspension Scorpions  attacker
was in action for the whole game.
Scorpions’ defender Abdoulie Corr  (Paco) and his teammate Demba Savage lost
2-0 on Sunday. Only Paco was in action  for the second tier Finish league.
Norway – Brann raced three points clear  at the top of the Norwegian
Tippeligaen to nearest rival Lillestrom at 36  points, with a 1-0 win over Sandefjord
on Sunday. It was a clash between  Gambians as Tijan Jaiteh’s Brann defeated
Ebrima Sohna’s Sandefjord pushing them  down at the bottom of the league table.
Peru – Yankuba Ceesay the lone  Gambian in the Peruvian league lost 4-1 to
Total Clean on Sunday.
Sweden –  Djurgarden IF conquered Helsingborg IF 4-1 at their own ground on
Monday to go  top of the Swedish Allsvenska league with 35 points. And in the
third tier  Swedish league division 1, Lamin Conateh (Babaye) and Aziz Corr
Nyang won 3-0  with their club Assyriska on Sunday.

Kerewan Samba Sira Nawettan  Reach Semis
By Mustapha Fatty & Fatou Sanyang
Eight teams have  participated in this year’s Nawettan in Kerewan Samba Sira
village in Central  River Region, one of the hottest in recent years.
Hundreds of spectators  gathered at the football field to watch one of the
most competitive game between  real Exodus of Kerewan and Gambega of Brikama Ba
clash in the first semi-final.  As the match progresses at the 36th minute of
the first half, Alhagie Dumbuya  put Exodus ahead, but Gambega fought back to
level the score in the 45th minute  of the first half.
During the second half, Kissima scored again in the 69th  minute to put
Exodus back in the lead and in the last minute of the game,  Ousainou Trawally
killed the game making it 3-1 for Exodus.
The next  semi-final match is between Ac-Milan of Delegas and Sinchu Bamba,
the winner of  whom will fight with Exodus for the cup in the grand final.

BB  Rovers Collect 1st Three points
By Isatou Bittaye
BB Rovers on Tuesday  defeated Juventus by a lone goal to collect their first
three points in the  Serrekunda East Nawettan.
Rovers’ Modou Saidy put his side through early in  the 14th minute of the
first half. The match was tightly contested in the first  half as both teams
played well to overcome the other. The second half provided  the most interesting
part of the game as Juventus fought harder to cancel out  Rovers’ lead.
Late Alieu also fell to Macassa by a whopping 4-0 on Sunday na  d Gamma Link
too overcame Zurich by a goal to nil on the same day.
Today  Wales takes on Medina and London Celtic play TK Snookers on Thursday
as the  matches continue.