GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:13:41 EST

Brother Modou Sidibeh,

I think I have become paranoid after watching too many an exchange  between
differing viewpoints that could have given birth to even better ideas if  only
they did not deteriorate into personal attacks and accusations of  personal
attacks die.Not a good thing at all.

I agree that this has become a rather precarious situation but the  tragedy
is that Jammeh will use it to his advantage and as a result,  make an even
worse spectacle of himself before the World even if these documents  are
forgeries. Even in the face of something like this, would any  sane leader who respects
the rule of law not have embarked upon a  thorough investigation of this
allegation before acting rather than swiftly  arresting and incarcerating these
people complete with the usual  trademark violations of constitutional rights
under detention etc?

Jammeh would have found other means of making good on his threats against
these men. He made the promise himself for all Gambians to hear and record. He
stood before Gambians and dared to say that some people will not witness the
2006 elections.

On the other hand, Senegal I am sure also sees this regime as one that has
had designs to destabilize their own country for years by aiding and abetting
an  effort that if successful, would not only separate Casamance from Senegal,
but  which would result in the loss to Senegal of a very vital part of their
country.  Jammeh has been putting up some of the Casamance rebel leadership
right there in Banjul for years now with rumours of supplying them with  arms.
If Senegal's intention was deliberate with intent to cause chaos, the  Jammeh
regime opened up the door of that possibility by their past actions. If  you
live by the sword...........but then it is always the people who suffer  isn't
it?

Somehow though, our having come to this in our relationship with Senegal is
amazing, and a tragedy of the worse kind that is a direct result of the  APRC
misrule and quest for more and more power. Idiots playing dangerous  games to
feed their small egos. With these two countries, we are  talking about people
who share a deep ancestral bond  and how many families  in Gambia have a good
portion of the same family in the other country and vice  versa? This is a
foreign nation and yet, they are not foreigners.
Accusations and counter accusations that may lead to more friction and  even
conflict as you pointed out would be a foolish venture on our part for many
reasons too numerous to list but which I am sure all of us can name.
Yaya Jammeh and his band of rogues are grasping at  straws and any situation
will do.  Let the APRC  regime tell the people how this government's
stationery was used  to send forged documents but I am afraid such an investigation if
it were  purported to be underway would end up like all the other ones that
have  become perpetual investigations so they will not catch themselves.
Jabou Joh

 In a message dated 11/28/2005 1:19:41 P.M. Central Standard Time,