GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 11:39:04 PDT
Hi Everyone,

This is precisely what I wanted to avoid. Engaging in such public exchanges
is not something that I cherish. Arguments on gambia-l should not be about
scoring points. We should always aim at enlightening people, and that means
giving them the facts.

Ebrima gave his opinions about the possible impact of the sale of the
Observer Newspaper to Amamdou Samba on the quality of its news reporting.
Apparently, Ebrima knows Amadou Samba personally and also his political
affiliations. I don't. I cannot argue, as Bass seems to want me to do, with
his opinions. What would I say? That I think the Observer will be
independent? Or that It will not be independent? The simple fact is that
nobody knows.I think I have better things to do than  waste my time
speculating. Whether the Observer has ever been independent or objective is
a matter of opinion. Bass himself has criticised Ebrima in the past for his
partiality. But, of course, consistency has never been his forte.

Ebrima then went on to make a very brief analysis of the ethos of various
newspapers. Here again, the situation is not as clear-cut as Ebrima's
hastily-prepared piece seemed to indicate.  I could have questioned why he
left out, for example, The Independent. But I thought, well, maybe to him it
is not worth mentioning. Or maybe he was in a hurry. I am not a journalist,
but my Language In The Media course forced me to do exactly the sort of
research Ebrima say he has done. My Project for this course was on Political
Interviews. So I know something about newspapers and the media in general,
although I accept that Ebrima probably knows better than I do in areas of
Media Studies that the course did not cover.

My main problem with Ebrima's piece was when it appeared to me that he was
mixing living and dead people together. This was not my opinion. It is a
fact that Tiny Rowland is dead. It is also a fact that Robert Maxwell is
dead, though not before defrauding his employees' pension funds. Basically,
he was broke, though everyone thought he was a multi-millionaire. That was
why I was surprised when I saw his name as one of the media magnates, or
even the suggestion that members of his family hold majority shares in
certain sections of the media industry. I wanted to sort this out with
Ebrima privately, but my posting went to the whole list, unfortunately. I
have no problem with Ebrima. I do not know him personally, although I used
to enjoy reading his editorials in the Observer.

Once again I am urging people to refrain from telling me or anyone else for
that matter what or what not to write about. If I decide to comment on one
line out of a whole book - it happens all the time- that is my business. I
did not bring the topic about ownership of newspapers in th UK, so I should
not be blamed for commenting on it. If Bass wants to join the debate he
should do so, rather than act as a self-appointed moderator.

Cheers