GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 23:52:38 EDT
Sidibeh,

Washington wants to make sure that viewers in the muslim countries where Al
Jazeera has a big audience are not privy to live photos of the destruction
that this attack will bring. They fear that this will incite the muslim World
and put the leaders of governments in places like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan
in danger of being overthrown by a population who will begin to have empathy
for their muslim brethren under attack. Already, there are massive
demonstrations in Egypt, Indonesia and Pakistan.
You see, it is reported that Al Jazeera also covers all of the pres briefings
out of Washington. I think that the U.S wants to keep a lid on coverage of
these attacks both here at home and in the muslim World. The same game was
played during the Vietnam war because they knew that the general public would
be swayed by the scenes. However, I think ti is going to be very hard to keep
the lid on this one, and this whole affair is a powder keg waiting to explode
because of emotions and fear of public opinion that may bring about a change
of heart in the muslim countries as well as here in the U.S. I think the
Americans want to drop the bombs by day and food supplies and propaganda
materials to the same people by night while keeping the realities of the
devastation from them and the rest of the World, and Al Jazeera is foiling
their plans with their coverage. Amazing huh?

Jabou Joh