GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:15:50 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:47:46 -0500
From: APIC <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: USA: Summit Documents, 5

USA: Summit Documents, 5
Date distributed (ymd): 000323
Document reposted by APIC

+++++++++++++++++++++Document Profile+++++++++++++++++++++

Region: Continent-Wide
Issue Areas: +political/rights+  +US policy focus+
Summary Contents:
This set of two postings on the National Summit on Africa
continues the series of three posted in February by APIC.
Please note that, as has always been APIC's policy for this
electronic list, the responsibility for the views expressed is
that of the original source of each document. As the
guidelines posted on APIC's web site indicate, "selection of
a document for reposting implies that it is considered a
useful resource for wider public debate, but not necessarily
that APIC endorses all the views expressed in reposted
material." Neither the previous postings nor the two today
should be misconstrued as an "APIC statement."

As a matter of record, APIC has not made and does not yet have
a formal statement of opinion on how the important dynamic of
the National Summit on Africa process should continue in the
future. This is far too serious and complex a subject,
involving not only the responsibilities and directions of many
different groups, but also many individuals around the country
and indeed around the world, for us to reach quick conclusions
or prematurely adopt firmly defined positions. APIC is
convinced that the primary arena in which such a position
should be defined is among the very diverse strands of
concerned people who have been engaged in the Summit process
at many levels.

APIC's electronic distribution list is not the appropriate
vehicle for continuing these important discussions. For the
ongoing debate -- to the extent it is available on-line -- we
recommend two primary sources. One is the Summit web site
(http://www.africasummit.org). The other is an on-line
discussion entitled "Africa Matters," initiated in December
with a core group of many summit delegation chairs, and
opened to the public following the summit. This forum --
[log in to unmask] -- is available on-line for sign-up
and viewing of the archive at http://www.egroups.com. To sign
up by e-mail, send a blank message to us-afr-network-
[log in to unmask] If there are other such public fora
that are open to a wide audience, please let us know and we
will find a way to insert a notice of their existence through
the distribution list or the Africa Policy web site.

This posting contains the Summit's Top Ten Action Priorities,
just released, as well as excerpts from statements by the
three co-chairs of the Michigan delegation and by a co-chair
of the New York delegation. For additional comments by other
co-chairs and delegates, see the Africa Matters discussion.
A full version of the remarks excerpted here is available at:
http://www.africapolicy.org/docs00/sum0003b.htm

The other posting sent out today contains a letter from the
Board chair and president of the NSOA.

+++++++++++++++++end profile++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

National Summit on Africa:
Top Ten Priority Recommendations

National Summit on Africa
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.africasummit.org

During the National Summit, delegates deliberated and adopted
the following 10 priority recommendations ...  for immediate
action, and to serve as the anchors to the National Policy
Plan of Action for U.S.-Africa Relations in the 21st Century
[to be available at http://www.africasummit.org on April 5,
2000.]

Economic Development, Trade and Investment, and Job Creation:

1. The U.S. should take the lead in providing prompt and
meaningful debt relief for Africa by forgiving all Africa
public sector debt owed to the U.S. The U.S. should also
support and encourage the favorable renegotiation,
restructuring or cancellation of African debt held by private
and multilateral creditors, as well as that held by other
creditor nations.

2. It is absolutely necessary for the U.S. to stimulate direct
trade and investment between Africa and the U.S. because
without it democracy will fail and the human needs of the
people cannot be met. This should be done with particular
emphasis on small- and medium-sized businesses between
Africans and African-Americans. There must be support for the
Africa Growth and Opportunity Act in order to foster trade and
investment in Africa and enable African countries to develop
mutually beneficial partnerships with the U.S. so as to
accomplish these goals.

Sustainable Development, Quality of Life, and the Environment

3. In the interest of sustainable development and the goals of
self-sufficiency and economic independence in Africa, the U.S.
should support and strengthen access to potable water and
waste management; the prevention, control, and eradication of
infections and diseases through the use of non-traditional,
traditional, and herbal medicines. Prevention of all major
diseases in Africa should be supported in partnership with
African governments, civil society and non-governmental
organizations, the private corporate sector and other
multi-lateral and bi-lateral donor agencies. Moreover, the
U.S. must champion debt cancellation so African governments
can redirect those resources toward these efforts. The U.S.
should work collaboratively with organizations in Africa to
support efforts to provide disability, refugee, and mental
health services. HIV/AIDS should be given special emphasis.
These collective actions will also ensure the future of
Africa's children.

4. The U.S. should invest in and support African initiatives
to provide basic necessities through the development of
sustainable infrastructure. Addressing these issues requires
commitment to human capital, gender issues (with emphasis on
women), education, capacity building, participatory
development involving the inclusion of non-governmental
organizations, community-based organizations, and reliance on
expertise from Africa, as well as establishing linkages with
African-Americans. All existing and future U.S. government
projects, U.S. non-governmental organizations and businesses
should adhere to the same environmental protection standards
that they would need to meet in the U.S. and should be
required to sign on to a list of principles that promote
sustainable utilization of land, water, forest, wildlife,
marine, biodiversity, and coastal resources. The U.S. should
strictly enforce the prohibition of transporting, selling and
dumping of toxic and hazardous substances. Therefore, the
U.S. through its Department of State, agencies, and Congress
can play key enhancing roles by: 1) increasing the foreign
assistance budget; 2) sustaining and expanding information
technology infrastructure 3) using its relational leverage
with other donors to boost the livelihood of grassroots
communities; and 4) supporting efforts at land reform which
sustains small holder agriculture and food security.

Peace and Security

5. The U.S. should support United Nations and regional
organizations' peacekeeping and conflict prevention efforts in
Africa, including timely financial and logistical support. The
U.S. also should fully pay, without conditions, its current
United Nations dues and arrears and its assessments for
peacekeeping operations.

6. The U.S. should increase financial, technical, and
logistical support for African and multilateral initiatives
and institutions (including civil society) aimed at crisis
prevention, conflict resolution, peace enforcements, and
humanitarian assistance. Any action should incorporate an
intensive education program. The U.S. should increase efforts
to enact the optional protocol on child soldiers; to protect
African citizens against conscription, to inform American
consumers of the origins of African products and resources in
order to prevent the sale of those products from financing
war, conflict, and corruption. The President should
immediately sign, and the U.S. Senate should ratify, the
Treaty to Ban Landmines without reservation. The U.S. should
expand financial support for mine clearance, victim assistance
and rehabilitation, environmentally sensitive de-mining, and
landmine awareness. The U.S. should end all production and
sales of landmines and should support international
initiatives to make producers of landmines financially
accountable for property and human losses therefrom.

Democracy and Human Rights

7. The U.S. government, public and private sectors should make
the promotion of democracy and respect for human rights
central to their policies towards Africa. The U.S. should
increase support towards existing and emerging institutions
that do not violate human rights. U.S. foreign assistance
including trade benefits, security assistance, finance, and
logistics should be available on a preferential basis to those
that respect human rights. This assistance must include human
rights training. To this end, the U.S. should be committed to
bringing all Americans, particularly African Americans, to the
forefront of discussions, planning, and implementation of all
initiatives.

8. To promote African democracy and human rights in this era
of globalization, the U.S. government should require
U.S.-based corporations and international finance
institutions, particularly the World Bank, International
Monetary Fund and World Trade Organization, to advance these
goals in policy and practice. A corporate code of conduct must
make democracy and human rights central to doing business in
Africa. The charters of international institutions should be
amended so that they can no longer offer support and
legitimacy to illegitimate governments, and to democratize the
institutions to allow for more African representation. The
U.S. should support Africa's quest for a permanent seat on the
UN Security Council, should triple the number of African
refugees admitted to the U.S., increase aid to 0.7% of GNP,
and ratify all pending human rights conventions.

Education and Culture

9. The U.S., including African-American educational
institutions, should seek equitable partnerships with African
professionals, institutions, and communities to include
opportunities for international exchange, training, research,
technology, knowledge transfer, information sharing, and arts
and culture. The U.S. should fund and support efforts of all
countries to provide basic education, all types of literacy
programs, and HIV/AIDS education for children (particularly
girls) adults, and persons with disabilities.

10. It is imperative that action be taken consistently and
accurately to educate the U.S. public on Africa through mass
media, cultural institutions, and school curriculum. The U.S.
must encourage African ownership while discouraging
multinational institutions from destabilizing, displacing, or
competing unfairly with indigenous media. Policymakers must 1)
promote change in American knowledge and attitudes toward
Africa; 2) emphasize Africa's role in the history of global
civilization.

Letter from Michigan State Co-Chairs

March 5, 2000

To:
Dr. Leonard Robinson, President and CEO, The National Summit
on Africa; Dr. Herschelle Challenor, Board Chair, The National
Summit on Africa

From:
Rev. Mangedwa Nyathi, Co-Chair, Michigan Summit on Africa,
Executive Director, Agape House, Hartford Memorial Baptist
Church. (313) 861-1200, Fax: (313) 861-7896

Ms. Salome Gebre-Egziabher, Co-Chair, Michigan Summit on
Africa, Education Equity Consultant, University of Michigan
(734) 763-2137, Fax: (734) 763-2137, e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Ms. Iva Smith, Co-Chair, Michigan Summit on Africa
Education Equity Consultant, University of Michigan
(734) 763-9910 , Fax: (734) 763-2137, e-mail: [log in to unmask]

We ... write to congratulate you on all the arduous
arrangements and long hours of labor that we know that you and
the staff invested in creating all this activity for us. ...

We do plan to continue our work as the Michigan Summit on
Africa in ways yet to be determined ...

We shall be eager to receive the revised National Plan of
Action and to hear of the plans of the National Summit on
Africa for implementing our plan of action and policy agenda.

Participants in the Michigan Summit on Africa have a long
history of working closely with a variety of organizations
that have labored long for Africa here in Michigan -
especially with TransAfrica, the American Committee on Africa,
the Africa Fund, Washington Office on Africa, Africa Policy
Information Center, as well as with some others.

The pro-Africa movement here in Michigan, which has many
accomplishments including passing more state sanctions laws on
South Africa (3) than any other state, has benefitted in many
ways from the work, staff, and support of those organizations
over several decades. We were encouraged to join the Summit
effort and to build our own Michigan Summit on Africa in large
part because we saw some of those organizations joining the
Summit three years ago.

Therefore, now we are very concerned to learn how the Summit
effort, as was promised to them and us, will feed into and
work closely with all of those organizations and will not lead
to their demise by competing with them. ...

In addition, we are assuming that any plans will be provided
to and debated by the state delegations that constitute the
base of the Summit effort to date. ... We believe that it is
important that full debate and democratic decision-making
inform not only the development of the Draft Plan of Action
but also the purposes, structure, and operating principles of
any organization which extends the Summit process beyond May
31, 2000. ...

Letter from New York State Co-Chair