GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:22:46 EST
Brother Momodou Sidibeh,

The Bretton Wood Instututions do not have the interest of Africa at heart and
heir only significance here as far as I am concerned is that their demands in
the interest  in looking after their bottom line happens to reveal some of
the underhanded dealings of the APRC regime.

You wrote:

"The government must think of putting into place an agency or commission with
the power and independence to formulate and execute policies that need to
define, at least partly,  the fight against corruption as  largely a
socio-cultural problem  whose operations are more visible in the economic
domain. Fighting corruption is part of the process of nation-building; it
must be a protracted struggle."

This is true and I agree that corruption in our society is a socio-cultural
problem but in this case, I think it is akin to asking the wolf to look after
the sheep if we are looking to the APRC regime to actually undertake the fight
against corruption when some of the members of  this administration are far
from being transparent abotu their oen financial dealings and instant wealth. We
have a government whose most major accomplishment is corruption of the
greatest magnitude and those they are prosecuting not only took the cue from them,
but in most cases, they were acting in collaboration with them. Even if we
assume that Yaya Jammeh did not know about the failure to pay customs duties on
YDE goods, the YDE itself was attempting to be a monopoly of sorts where a head
of state says he was trying to help the people but all he was trying to do was
line his own pockets.The same head of state has become wealthy almost
overnight. I think we are playing the same old game of what the Wollof call "metel
buki jamay Jaka neh eliman ba ngi" if we are callign on this government to
legislate against corruption. I think that first, we need a transparent and sincere
government that will lead by example, and that truely has the interest of
Gambians at heart in every sense of the word and not just people who are
concentrating all their energies on trying to hang on to power and make more money
before we can set out to sincerely tackle this issue of corruption. What is in
progress currently is more of an exercise in self preservation than a sincere
effort at fighting corruption.

Jabou Joh