GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 18:45:23 GMT
Joe,

Ousman Bojang speaks for me. Personally, I would have liked to take on Ebou
Jallow, but it just won't get us anywhere. You've seen the little games he
likes to play. So why bother? But, be assured that I share your sentiments
in their entirety. The group branding he engages in is simply criminal. It's
the root of many problems we're facing now. The simple truth is, Yaya Jammeh
is using a large segment of the Jola people to pursue his selfish agenda.
Many, because of greed, or ignorance are buying the bs he is throwing out.
But to take that as a reason to paint ALL Jola people a certain way, is
wrong. In my judgment, there isn't a more principled/honorable person among
the Gambia's politicos than Shingle Nyassi. And he is a Jola! So, don't take
it that Ebou speaks for many in his views. He doesn't. Some of my best
memories of the Gambia derive from the little experience I had spending time
in Foni. There simply isn't a nicer group of people in that country. All the
reason why it breaks my heart to see many following this crazy and doomed
Yaya.

Saul.