GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cynthia Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:10:33 -0700
Hi All,

Even if there is a change of government, how will the current or new government retrieve the monies stolen by the APRC? Unless this happens, how will the new government be able to make a difference (run their government) when they don't have any money left in the coffers? How will they be able to do simple things like balance the budgets, pay its employees etc. etc.??? If the new government sues to have the monies returns from all the guilty parties, how with they pay for the lawyers to go after these individuals? Are the Gambians in the diaspora willing to help foot the bill? Or, will anyone be willing to lobby on behalf of The Gambia to the international community for assistance? No matter what happens, it seems like things are very bleak for The Gambia and all of you have a long and hard road ahead of you.

Cynthia

Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Momodou Sidibeh,

I could not agree more regarding the fact that the APRC regime have made the
cost of their possible exit high indeed and there is a role both they and the
opposition have to adopt to enable such an exit to be proposed, accepted,
initiated and implemented peacefully for all concerned. For the sake of peace
and safety of our nation, we must begin to explore a peaceful transition because
if people are backed into a corner, it does not help this situation at all,
and with each passing day, Gambians are the ones bearing the weight of economic
and other hardships. The politicians, whether they are dictators in place or
in the opposition must remember that their only significance lies in the fact
that they represent the people, and nothing else. That is the only reason they
factor in this equation.

In my view, both sides will have to make some concessions because the
politics of vengeance is not the answer and those who have wronged our country and
our people have to also realize the gravity of their crimes and be ready to
make ammends or we will not get anywhere.

I also agree that todate, the silence from the opposition with regards to any
concrete plans and proposals for change and possible solutions, and ways to
engage the APRC regime is deafening.
However, major questions still remain as to whether Jammeh's government is
signalling for an exit strategy in which they do not feel threatened, will they
be receptive to a proposal by the opposition in which this can transpire or
are they merely engaged in disaster recovery and will carry on with business as
usual after they come out from under the lense of the IMF? The fact is that
the IMF cares only about their bottom line and our economy is damaged and it
is obvious that the Jammeh regime has contributed a great deal to this end, and
they do not posses the ability to get the country out of the mess it is in,
and Gambians see no sign at this point that the opposition has any viable plan
either, or if they do, they need to let the people know about it

Carrying on with business as usual by the APRC regime at this point would be
a grave mistake since what has been obvious to everyone all along has proven
itself, and it is the fact that competence and not repression and abrogation of
the people's rights and political appointments of loyalists and stooges are
what it takes to run the affairs of a country effectively. Also that corruption
and mis-management will manifest themseves sooner or later even if those
engaged in the act refuse to acknowledge it, especially in a poor country with
meager resources.

The issue is whether the APRC regime can muster the ability to make an exit
at the right time or do they wait until they are led away in handcuffs to be
presented before an international tribunal or until their blood and that of
innocent Gambians is spilled in senseless, avoidable violence by those who may
not see diplomacy as the reasonable answer, or do they engage their compatriots
and find a solution that preserves the dignity of all concerned?

The other big question being whether the opposition parties are ready willing
and able to set aside their differences to be able to tackle the urgent
issues at hand and showus that they are fit to lead?

There are a lot of questions but the fact is that the situation is volatile
and urgent and needs the input of those who seek to lead us. It is time for
them to demonstrate their capabilities to give us confidence that we will not be
headed for another disaster even with a different government in place because
so far, the picture is quite bleak.

Jabou Joh