GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:26:13 +0000
G_L:

Although the opposition recently got whipped by Yahya Jammeh, that is not
and should not be the end of our quest for a better govern Gambia. I want to
inform the opposition parties that YAHYA DID NOT WIN THE ELECTIONS, THE
OPPOSITION PARTIES GAVE THE PRESIDENCY TO Yahya Jammeh. How? By ignoring the
calls for one united opposition, they assured Yahya another five years at
state house. Moving forward. We hope this painful lesson will be referred to
in future political decisions. One disappointing trend we saw during the
campaign was some opposition parties attacking other opposition parties.

One of the ways can try to keep Yahya honest is by denying his party the
house of parliament. Filling the house of parliament will opposition members
will enable us to curb Yahya’s excesses, allow us to investigate acts of
corruption, murder, illegal incarceration and human rights violations.
Opposing parties are aware of this fact. We will plea with them again to
UNITE as ONE and contest the parliament elections.
This is not quitting time, but the time to regroup and fight another
day(February). I will write another petition for one opposition and hope
that our leaders will take their newly found wisdom and do the  wise thing.
We got knocked out in the fifth round of a ten round bout. We can lay on the
canvass or get up and finish the fight to a draw.

Regards,
MJohnson