GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:53:20 EDT
Mr. Manjang,

Here we go again ... the usual dodgy manouevring and semantic sophistry when
you are posed a simple question. Only this time you resorted to using a
totally unbecoming mode to put your points across, i.e., pouring diatribe on
my person. These things don't bother me at all; but it tells a lot how you
behave when you are under the spotlight. You were simply asked why MOJAG - or
whatever is left of it - is relatively lenient with the APRC record than with
the PPP one? You stayed mute on this question, as you did last year when i -
together with Brothers Saul Khan and KB - quizzed you as to why you are
relatively more sparing of the APRC record than the PPPone , given the evil
it has helped wrought on the Gambia and the Gambian people? More to the
point, i put it to you how can MOJAG stay so mute about the APRC record when
a comrade, Dumo Sarho, is still languishing behind bars - illegally
incarcerated? How can you [Manjang] still endorse Sarjo Jallow - who still
serves the same regime that continues to illegally incarcerate Dumo Sarho -
after all that has happened and continues to happen in the Gambia? Needless
to say that all these questions were posed to you again, but like the
beguiling and crafty leftist salesman, you dodged them by launching into
unbecoming personal attacks on my person. I was not astonished, therefore, to
read you make this ridiculous conclusion as per why i decided not to debate
Marx and Marxism with you any longer:

"When last year you
started a debate with me on Marx and your Popperist nonsense and then
abruptly and unilaterally withdrew because it was "not relevant". I ceased
to take you seriously knowing fully well the type of guy you are. "

Of course, this is but a figment of your feverish imagination. Anyone
familiar with my dialogue with you then would recall that the reason why i
broke off with you was to do with the fact that you refused flatly to talk
about Sarjo's involvement in the scheme of APRC politics but eager to debate
Marxism and its relevance to Africa. I concluded then that Sarjo's betrayal
of his political past cannot be decoupled from any general discourse on
Marxism and its relevance to Africa. I put it to you then that i'm not
interested in debating Marxism if it is going to be decoupled from Sarjo's
current politics. Search the archives of Gambia-L and they shall vindicate me
on this. More to the point, after attempting to rebut my claims that your
"NGO" is milking State funds, you wrote what is nothing but a very convoluted
and sophist account of what you are up to, but couldn't help give yourself up
in the end:

"But GAMSEM has also had lot of support from the Government of the Gambia in
the form duty waivers, allocation of land  and a grant of over D60 000 for
the construction of a multi-purpose workshop. None of these was sought or
got through the auspices of any person or institution. GAMSEM has never
applied for or got any contract from the Government of the Gambia. On behalf
of a cooperative of tailors we have applied and failed to get  a tender for
the supply of uniforms to the Gambia Civil Aviation Corporation in 1997; on
behalf of a team of unemployed we have applied and failed in getting a
tender for the runing of a canteen at the RVH (if I remeber well in 1999).
Gamsem is a member of the Task Force on both Cooperative Reform and
Employment Policy. For the development of an organic fertiliser product,
Gamsem has sought and got the cooperation of the National Agricultural
Research Institute (NARI) in 1997. If this is collaborationist, we are proud
of that,  knowing all these resources belong to the Gambian tax payers and
that they are being used prudently to address the legitmate needs of our
members."

Of course, your sophistry won't make you get away with it. The reason why i
put it to you and others that maybe MOJAG is in cahoots with the APRC is
because if any organisation that wants to get anything from the current
regime gets critical with their policies for a minute, then they can kiss all
those duty waivers and pork barrel politics good bye. Perhaps, this is the
reason why you are not critical of Jammeh and indeed of your buddy, Sarjo. I
put it to you again: will the APRC regime ever give you any duty waivers and
the works if you dare ever be critical of them as you were of the PPP? At
least we can tell from Dumo's incarceration that criticality doesn't only
mean losing gov't favours; but also the right to freedom of movement. A big
shame you are not prepared to join Dumo at Mile Two; and merely chickened and
sold out on a former comrade. Shame on you, Manjang. I don't share Dumo's
philosophy, but by Allah the man is not only brave, but deeply sincere in his
beliefs. Simply put, the man hasn't sold out!

At the end of the day, the onus is on you to tell Gambians why Jammeh and all
he has done to date deserves better from you, given your critricality of
Jawara? How you make inroads in getting gov't support for your "NGO", when
the likes of Dumo get incarceration? Is it because he is critical and you
have chickened and sold out? Since Dumo's incarceration, what have you
publicly done and continue to do to get him out of his illegal incarceration?
Did you use your informal association with the APRC and more buddy one with
Sarjo to mount pressure on the powers that be to free Dumo? The onus will
always be on you to tell Gambians how compatible your former position is with
the servile manner you go about currying favours with this despicable regime.
Until then, i'll continue posting on your unbecoming and treacherous
behaviour vis-a-vis your informal association with the APRC.

Hamjatta Kanteh