GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Essau Gambia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:37:24 -0400
Breaking News: The Big Interview: Waa Juwara Speaks- Part One!!
"I think we are correct to do that. You know the relationship between Cuba
and America and yet Jammeh can said that we are friends to Cuba. And that's
something.  Despite of being a small country, we have to be respected.
International relations cannot be over one person's thing. We have to
respect other people's views, relations and every thing. I don't see
anything wrong with the Gambia having good rapport and relationship with
Iran,  Venezuela or any other country.  I don't think so. We have seen what
had happened.  Do you think Mugabe is evil as he is portrayed? Those who are
castigating Mugabe now  were supporting him? Was Zimbabwe not a colony?
Those who colonized Zimbabwe are they democratic? If you have white minority
rule is that democracy? Is that democracy?" Firebrand Gambian politician
Lamin Waa Juwara posited. Juwara who was speaking in an exclusive interview
with the Freedom Newspaper praised the Jammeh leadership for befriending
Venezuela, Iran and Cuba. Juwara says The Gambia reserves the right to
befriend the country of its choice, while  he blasted Great Britain, a
former colony of Zimbabwe of being undemocratic. The NDAM leader said The
Gambia must jealousy guard its Sovereignty, adding that  there is nothing
wrong to befriend the said countries. Juwara used the interview to call on
former PPP officials  such as Saihou Sabally, Bakary Bunja Darboe, Sara
Jangha, Alkali James Gaye and others to return home. Juwara says if Sir
Dawda Kairaba Jawara  and his family can return to the Gambia, he sees no
reason why the former public officials should go on self imposed exile. It's
Juwara's belief that BB Darboe, Saihou Sabally, Jangha and others were
running from their past status by giving their back to the country. Widely
known as the Niamina Dankunku Lion, Waa Juwara argues that there is no point
for these individuals to abandon their country when there is no immediate
threat on their lives. He says if these people chose to stay abroad it's up
to them but as far he was concerned they are  free to come home without any
problem. Juwara also voluntarily initiated to facilitate the return of the
Freedom Newspaper Editor and any other Gambian interested to return home  to
the Gambia,  through his connections. Juwara says he would talk to the
President on  his proposed gesture if approved by this editor, but  the
Freedom strong man respectively declined such gestures coming from Juwara.
Juwara  also said  that the Gambia is not a failed state contrary to media
reports. Below is part one of the interview. please read on...

Freedom Newspaper: What's your assessment of the current political situation
in the Gambia?

Lamin Waa Juwara: That is a vague question, you know. It depends on from
what perspective.

Freedom Newspaper: The question is: Is the Gambian opposition alive or
dormant?

Lamin Waa Juwara: Laughter Ha ha,  ha, ha….Well, the whole situation is,
that the opposition disappointed the people, because the people wanted a
united front.  Since we lost the elections, we lost our credibility in the
eyes of the people. This is what happened. There is no politics without the
people.

Freedom Newspaper: Are you implying that Gambians lost confidence into the
opposition?

Lamin Waa Juwara: Yes, of course. That's what I said. It's plain. We have
lost credibility in the eyes of the people. Very plain. I'm very
categorical. I  have said Jammeh won the elections freely and fairly. And
really we have nothing to complain about.

Freedom Newspaper: What's the way forward in such a situation. What should
the opposition do right now?

Lamin Waa Juwara: Laughter…. Ha ha ha ha.. Pa, I cannot say. I cannot say
what we should do. I think what we should do is  just to call the people and
say we have failed. We should admit our failures. We are not the only
people. There are other Gambians. That's the situation. I said it…I said
categorically that  Jammeh has courage.

Freedom Newspaper: What kind of courage are you talking about?

Lamin Waa Juwara: That he has self confidence, that's why he won. He said it
all over. From the first elections, the second elections and the third
elections. Jammeh has confidence in himself.

Freedom Newspaper: What led your sudden change of heart towards the APRC
leadership? Is it because of the popular will that the Gambian people voted
for Jammeh, that is why you are accepting them as a legitimate government?

Lamin Waa Juwara: I have not changed one bit, I'm just being realistic. All
we need is to say the truth. The situation has changed and the situation is
on the ground. What else do I need to say? If Jammeh can be the President of
the Gambia for 13 years, that could not have happened without the support of
the people.

Freedom Newspaper: Do you have any intention of abandoning politics in
totality or what do you have in mind?

Lamin Waa Juwara: Laughter… Ha ha ha ha…These are some of the problems. You
just want to make something  sensation  out of it. You are not asking the
realities. I have not told you that I want to abandon politics. The reality
is on the ground. This is what has  happened. We lost the last elections as
a result it was free and fair. We lost it because, we are not objective. We
shattered the hopes of the people having a grand alliance which turns out to
be a failure. We betrayed the people.

Freedom Newspaper: Fine, I heard what you said. If you should give a fair
assessment of the APRC, what areas do you think they have improved on?

Lamin Waa Juwara: Now let me tell you one thing.  Lets be very objective.
Don't you think that establishing a University and creating a Ministry for
Higher Education and Gambians graduating in their own country, these are all
achievements?  I'm telling you.... These are all achievements. We have to be
objective. Lets call a spade, a spade. I'm not saying that everything is
rosy in the Gambia. I'm not a praise singer. I don't flatter anybody. I
speak my own mind.

Freedom Newspaper: Do you have any regrets for saying that the Jammeh
government is developmental oriented?

Lamin Waa Juwara: What regrets would I have? What regrets would I have?

Freedom Newspaper: Do  you harbor any grudge against the Jammeh leadership
for the torture you suffered from the hands of their  agents over the years?

Lamin Waa Juwara: I went through all that and everything. I harbored no ill
feelings against anybody.

Freedom Newspaper: Are you saying that you have forgiven the people who
tortured you?

Lamin Waa Juwara: That's not what I mean. It's not for sympathy or any thing
that I need. The fact that I'm in the Gambia, but you people left this
country. Why don't you come back? I didn't run away, despite all what  has
happened.

Freedom Newspaper: I read your interview with the Point and you were very
bold in your statement that the opposition had failed. What needs to be done
for the opposition to put their house in order?

Lamin Waa Juwara: I made it very clear. I made it absolutely clear.  The
reason why we left NADD is very clear. We have a memorandum of understanding
that was cleverly written. What we said in that memorandum of understanding
is that if we do  not agree for single candidate, that means there is no
consensus. That means we should go back to the people. We all flouted it. No
body went  to the people. Darboe and Hamat Bah decided to leave. We also sat
behind close doors and decided to put up a candidate. We didn't consult the
people. First of all, the UDP started the confusion. Hamat lost his seat in
Saloum. He lost every single candidate he put up across the country.  They
have lost support. Five years ago, you have  more votes than what you have
now.  And the same thing happened to NADD.

Freedom Newspaper:  NADD is still operational. Does NADD have the mandate of
the people? Is it a legitimate party,  in your own view?

Lamin Waa Juwara: What do you mean?

Freedom Newspaper: What I'm saying is that NADD used to be consist of
different political parties. You have pulled out, the UDP have pulled out.
It's only PDOIS, which is there. Do you see it as a credible party?

Lamin Waa Juwara: I have no quarrel with them. Anybody can register a party
as long as you are qualified to register with the IEC.  That's one thing,
but what I'm saying is that the opposition parties, in fact people were
interested about only who is going to be what. That was the problem.  Who
got to be a candidate?  Who have to be a candidate. I have never been a
candidate for the last 13 years. This issue of candidate is secondary.
That's  primary.

Freedom Newspaper: Do you still have Presidential ambition?

Lamin Waa Juwara: Who?

Freedom Newspaper: I mean you. Do you  harbor Presidential ambition in the
future?

Lamin Waa Juwara: Laughter… Ha ha ha ha…. Did you ever see it in me that I
have a Presidential ambition?

Freedom Newspaper: No,  I'm asking you a question. Do you have Presidential
ambition?

Lamin Waa Juwara:  I'm telling you… I'm asking you now, did you ever see it
in me that I had Presidential ambition? I'm here on the ground. I have said
it, the first elections I don't agree with the results. The second
elections, I did not, but the third one I agreed  with the results because
it was free and fair elections.  And really this is democracy, you have to
accept the wishes of the people. Jammeh is here because the Gambian people
voted for him.

Freedom Newspaper: How would you react to critics who are saying that you
are trying to appease the Jammeh government by trying to say that there is
democracy in the Gambia, when there is no democracy? That you want to
solicit favors from the government by making such comments.

Lamin Waa Juwara: Laughter… ha ha ha ha.. Well, tell them to come and take
my place.. Ha ha ha…I don't go to the grand palace  to gossip. I speak my
mind.  You know Pa… People have to be honest. Gambians, we should be very
honest with  ourselves.  I have been very vocal, very clear in my ideals.
I'm still the same Juwara. I have not changed one bit.  I was not PPP. The
PPP rejected me for somebody else.  Because I have been an opposition when
they were over thrown,  I would have gone out with the APRC at the time. Did
I do that?  I'm on record. I'm telling you to contact OJ, I visited every
PPP Minister in their own homes when thing were  very hot. I campaigned for
the ban on the PPP to be lifted.

Freedom Newspaper: Mr.Juwara what areas do you think the government needs to
improve in terms of human rights and governance?

Lamin Waa Juwara: I have said it and it is absolutely clear. There are some
deficiencies in terms of governance.  Notwithstanding, they have succeeded.
The Gambia is not in turmoil. Imagine what had happened in Liberia and
Sierra Leone? We have succeeded. We are a developing country. We cannot say
that we are  absolutely without problems.

Freedom Newspaper: This question might sound funny to you, but you might as
well help to dispel this widely believed notion. Some people are saying that
President Jammeh is a spiritual man who change the minds of his opponents to
come his camp. Has Jammeh's spiritual powers played a role on your sudden
change of her heart for the leadership?

Lamin Waa Juwara: I don't believe in spiritual work. It's up to the people
to think the way they want to think. One thing I will commend him.  He
have  self confidence. And he chooses his own friends.  What's wrong with
befriending Cuba, Venezuela and all these other nations. I think these are
genuine partners.

Freedom Newspaper: So you supported the Gambia foreign policy toward,
Venezuela and Iran?

Lamin Waa Juwara: Oh yeah….

Freedom Newspaper: Why?

Lamin Waa Juwara:  You want to choose Gambian friends for Gambians?

Freedom Newspaper: No, no. I just want to have your reasons for supporting
such a diplomatic move?

Lamin Waa Juwara: I don't see anything wrong with the Gambia having good
rapport and relationship with Iran,  Venezuela or any other country.  I
don't think so. We have seen what had happened.  Do you think Mugabe is evil
as he is portrayed? Those who are castigating Mugabe now  were supporting
him?

Freedom Newspaper: In your own view,  the government can befriend any
country they deem it  necessary?

Lamin Waa Juwara: I think we are correct to do that. You know the
relationship between Cuba and America and yet Jammeh can said that we are
friends to Cuba. And that's something.  Despite of being a small country, we
have to be respected.  International relations cannot be over one person's
thing. We have to respect other people's views, relations and every thing.

Freedom Newspaper:  Are you saying that the Gambia should not be stooge for
anybody?

Lamin Waa Juwara: I'm  not saying that. What I'm saying is that  Jammeh have
self confidence and the Gambia has the rights to choose its friends. Our
relations with Cuba, what's wrong about that? What's wrong about having good
relationship with Venezuela or any other country?  We have the right to
befriend any other country,  whether America, Venezuela, Cuba or Iran.

Freedom Newspaper: But critics say the Jammeh government is befriending
these countries for the sake of "check book" diplomacy, as you one time
accused them. Your views?

Lamin Waa Juwara:  Absolutely not. You know that Cuba will not give you any
check.

Freedom Newspaper: How about Iran and Venezuela?

Lamin Waa Juwara:  No way. That's not objective.  That is a  genuine
solidarity between our countries. They have to accept this reality. As I
told  you what is wrong with Mugabe?

Freedom Newspaper: Is  Mugabe  a democrat?

Lamin Waa Juwara:  It depends on your own definition of a democrat.  Was
Zimbabwe not a colony? Those who colonized Zimbabwe are they democratic? If
you have white minority rule is that democracy? Is that democracy?

Freedom Newspaper: But Mr.Juwara, the United States and Great Britain  have
accused Mugabe of undermining the Zimbabwean constitution, as well as gross
human right violations.

Lamin Waa Juwara: I know. I know.  I know everything they  have been
saying.  I'm not saying that everything is rosy. We must understand that
Mugabe was a champion who liberated his own people. That factor cannot be
disregarded. We have to be honest with ourselves.  In Zimbabwe,  is a land
question.

Freedom Newspaper: Do you think history is going to judge you fairly
Mr.Juwara?

Lamin Waa Juwara:  Laughter….I cannot say that. That is left to history.  I
have honestly and sincerely have the interest of the Gambia at heart. That's
why I  told you that I have stayed.  I could have gone like as anybody
else.  My  family and everybody just go …I decided to stay here and stay
focused.

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 (Archive on Tuesday, August 28, 2007)
Posted by PNMBAI  Contributed by PNMBAI
Return <http://freedomnewspaper.com/Homepage/tabid/36/Default.aspx>