GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:25:52 +0200
United Nations and international aid agencies
are conducting a second round of polio vaccinations in
Angola this weekend  (Saturday and Sunday).  Lisa
Schlein in Geneva reports the agencies hope to
immunize nearly three-million children under age five.

TEXT:  Aid workers in Angola hope they can reach most
of the same children who received the first part of
the polio vaccination in June.

But only children in government-controlled areas of
Angola are being immunized against the crippling
disease.  Lynn Geldof of the United Nations Children's
Fund, UNICEF, says that unfortunately, Angolan
officials were  not  able to negotiate access to areas
held by UNITA rebel forces.

      We have to work with what we have.  It's a
      disappointment.  In practice, it's terrible that
      we couldn't reach these children who are just as
      much in need in those areas.  But, that's the
      reality we have to live with.  And, it's better
      to immunize two-point-nine-million children
      against polio, than  not  to go at all.

Ms. Geldof says those children who are vaccinated will
be safe from the effects of polio, which can lead to
paralysis and, in some cases, to death.  She says the
anti-polio campaign also will prevent the transmission
of the virus to children who live in adjacent
countries.

Ms. Geldof says the preparation and training required
for the polio immunization program in Angola was
enormous.

      We're talking here of 22-thousand-250 health
      workers or immunizers, mobilizers working in 14-
      thousand-24 mobile teams, going around from door
      to door, every house, looking for children under
      five.  The door-to-door approach has proved to
      be more effective than having fixed sites where
      people bring their kids.

Ms. Geldof says international donors provided the
money for the polio vaccination campaign in Angola --
about four-million U-S dollars.

http://www.bdnetpro.com/