GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bakary Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 21:40:49 +0100
Dear Compatriots,
I wish to share with you some of my thoughts on what the-much-anticipated
opposition coalition must say to the Gambian electorate in order to acquire
their votes and register a decisive victory over the corrupt and savage APRC
regime.I am of the firm conviction that God forbid, should the opposition
fail to close ranks and unite Gambians in evicting the Jammeh Dictatorship;
they would only have succeeded in entrenching corruption and injustice in
the dear motherland and where such phenomena thrive in any society,the
long-term impact irrespective of the number of airports, universities,
roads, hospitals and other structures constructed is eventually armed civil
conflict and further misery for the people as evident from other unfortunate
countries,paricularly in Africa.
The July 22nd Revolution came with the firm pledge that "hencefoth a new era
of freedom, progress, democracy and accountability will be the order of the
government of the day"(1st AFPRC broadcast).What did we get in return?
murders(notably Koro Ceesay); summary killings of our gallant soldiers(Lts,
the lates Saye,Dot Faal,Buba Jammeh and many others);the April 2000 massacre
of student demonstrators; perpetual torture of political opponents notably
at Denton bridge and by the NIA; self-enrichment by the President and his
affiliates through corruption and misappropriation of State funds,and brutal
dictatorship of the highest order.In fact,but for the determination of the
Gambian peoples to safeguard our rights,they would have imposed a one-party
dictatorship athough they promised us that "we will never introduce
dictatorship in this country because the average Gambian is being nurtured
with democracy"(Lts Jammeh and Singhateh,July 22nd 1994).Because we ardently
defended our rights to continue to elect those who will lead us,the Ocotober
Presidential in which we are all united in proposing lawyer Ousainou Darboe
as a joint-candidate to reverse the destructive and undemocratic trend in
the governance of the Gambia is the opportunity we should all seize upon to
exorcise the devils ruining our beloved Gambia.
This are my views,share yours on this issue.

The yoke of oppression must be shattered!
BMK